News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

This is a tragedy of course, but I suspect it just an effort to distract us from what is really important.

Hillary's email server.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

I never cease to be amazed how long and protracted and bloody this war is. It is getting hard to imagine how Syria can exist going forward once it is over.

At least we could be relieved, in the past, that we were not a part of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Iran thinks it needs Damas more than some of its own cities. Russia is backing both of them. Not much we can do without just taking over the area.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2017, 07:21:23 PM
I never cease to be amazed how long and protracted and bloody this war is. It is getting hard to imagine how Syria can exist going forward once it is over.
Somalia had one for 25 years, and they manage.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2017, 08:31:44 PM
Somalia had one for 25 years, and they manage.

Do they? Do they really?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

:lol:   Manage what?  Flies on eyelids and and distended bellies?

jimmy olsen

Prewar population of about 20 million. 450,000~ killed over six years. That's only 2.25% of the population. The American Civil War had 2.5% killed in four years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

So what's up with ITV beating the drums of war for two days straight over this? I remember I. Like the first six months of this civil war Assad had ships shell his own people, and this is what, the third case of a gas attack, assuming it really happened? But all of a sudden we are supposed to care when caring means starting WW3?

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2017, 12:55:59 AM
So what's up with ITV beating the drums of war for two days straight over this? I remember I. Like the first six months of this civil war Assad had ships shell his own people, and this is what, the third case of a gas attack, assuming it really happened? But all of a sudden we are supposed to care when caring means starting WW3?

I think to some extent this is a first test of the Trump administration.  People want to see how he reacts to these events. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 06, 2017, 01:42:16 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2017, 12:55:59 AM

I think to some extent this is a first test of the Trump administration.  People want to see how he reacts to these events.

I'm very skeptical that he will or can make any heel face turn on Assad, however he's so erratic I can't rule it out.

https://www.theatlantic.com/liveblogs/2017/04/news-today/521949/15909/
Quote'What Happened Yesterday Was Unacceptable to Me,' Trump Says of Syrian Chemical Attack

President Trump said the chemical attack in Syria that has been blamed on the Assad regime "crosses many, many lines," as he criticized his predecessor's decision not to take military action after drawing a "red line in the sand." When asked what specific action he'd take, Trump, who met with Jordan's King Abdullah, said: "It's very, very possible, and, I will tell you, it's already happened, that my attitude toward Syria and Assad has changed very much. And if you look back over the last few weeks, there have been other attacks using gas. You're now talking about a whole different level." The Trump administration hasn't yet outlined what steps it might take against Assad. As recently as last week, Nikki Haley, Trump's envoy to the UN, said: "Our priority is no longer to sit and focus on getting Assad out." As I wrote this morning, Russia, Assad's main backer, says yesterday's chemical attack in Khan Sheikhoun was caused by the destruction by Syrian military aircraft of a rebel facility that produced chemical weapons. Rebels, and officials from the U.S. and the U.K. all say Assad's forces carried out the attack. Trump's remarks about the attack follow those of Haley's, who said today: "When the UN consistently fails in its duty to act collectively, there are times in the life of states that we are compelled to take our own action."

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2017, 11:12:52 PM

Prewar population of about 20 million. 450,000~ killed over six years. That's only 2.25% of the population. The American Civil War had 2.5% killed in four years.

Um Tim the majority of those "killed" in the American Civil War died due to 19th century infectious diseases due to people being grouped together with large numbers of other people for the first time. Let's try to compare equivalent eras ok?

And really? "Only" 2.25% of the population? And unless it rises to the level of the most terrible and bloody war in American History its not significant? I mean what is your point here?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 06, 2017, 07:43:09 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2017, 11:12:52 PM

Um Tim the majority of those "killed" in the American Civil War died due to 19th century infectious diseases due to people being grouped together with large numbers of other people for the first time. Let's try to compare equivalent eras ok?

And really? "Only" 2.25% of the population? And unless it rises to the level of the most terrible and bloody war in American History its not significant? I mean what is your point here?
If they hadn't been sick they would have been thrown into battle and a similar number would have been killed or wounded anyways, so what does it matter?

I am being pedantic, just as the right and proper Languish way dictates.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 06, 2017, 07:55:28 AM
If they hadn't been sick they would have been thrown into battle and a similar number would have been killed or wounded anyways, so what does it matter?

I am being pedantic, just as the right and proper Languish way dictates.

So you spent time to calculate the number of dead versus the prewar population for no reason at all? I mean is it really being pedantic if you have no point? Usually pedants at least say you are doing it wrong. So bullshit on you 'being pedantic'. I don't know what the hell you were being.