News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I find Russian military uniforms to be dorky.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on September 02, 2016, 03:26:40 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2016, 01:21:45 AM
Wait, I got a little behind on all the latest Syria goings on.  Is Turkey fighting on the same side as Russia, or has it in effect started a proxy war against Russia in Syria? :unsure:

They are fighting on their own side like the other 35 sides in this conflict. I am guessing their general plan must depend on their overall ambition in the Middle East. If they just want to be left alone to ethnic cleanse the Kurds then they will be looking to strike a sweet deal for abandoning their Syrian opposition allies they are propping up now, once Assad has retaken the rest of the country.

If Erdogan wants to be Da Shit of the region he will probably want to remove Assad and Saudi as well as Iranian influence in Syria, but that seems highly unlikely considering they'd have to go through Russia for that.

I look at it like this:

Turkey: Can't abide Kurds or Assad winning.
Russia: Can't abide Assad losing.
USA: Can't abide ISIS winning.
Europe: Wants refugees to stop coming.

The parties of course have other interests, but those are the biggest concerns.

Turkey, Russia, and the US have informally accepted a modus vivendi that maintains a stalemate. Turkey needs to mess with the Kurds as they have a viable chance to establish an autonomous area, Russia needed to back up Assad when he was in trouble, and we rain death from above on ISIS because that is what we do.

Europe has to deal with the refugees.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2016, 08:10:55 PM
Video of Russia troops on the ground in Syria, nr the Castello road, coming under fire as they give a live briefing to their boss in Moscow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-37357955

:lol:

"If you can't talk, son, just key your handset twice. Over."

CountDeMoney

Seriously, let the Russians have their little Mediterranean excursion, and let their adventurism sink them in the sand.

Ed Anger

Although, I might get a giant war boner if the joint US/Russian airstrikes actually happen against ISIS.

Warthogs and Frogfoots? I need clean pants.

CountDeMoney

Barf, man. 

You can't soar with the eagles by flying with turkeys.  The only time I want to see join US/antisemite cossack slut airstrikes is against aliens.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2016, 08:47:48 PM
Barf, man. 

You can't soar with the eagles by flying with turkeys.  The only time I want to see join US/antisemite cossack slut airstrikes is against aliens.

Okay, we can bomb Mexicans then.  :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2016, 08:51:35 PM

No, we can bomb Mexicans.  They can bomb whatever passes for Mexicans over on their side of the planet, Ubekibekibekibekstanstan or whatever.

Ed Anger

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2016, 08:53:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2016, 08:51:35 PM

No, we can bomb Mexicans.  They can bomb whatever passes for Mexicans over on their side of the planet, Ubekibekibekibekstanstan or whatever.

If it looks like a beaner, it probably is a beaner.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2016, 08:35:26 PM
Video of Russia troops on the ground in Syria, nr the Castello road, coming under fire as they give a live briefing to their boss in Moscow:

Funny how those two dudes felt like they couldn't go to a safe place until the big wig asked them too, 20 seconds after gunfire starts.  The civilized world would be in trouble when Russian military learns how to empower its soldiers with common sense.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2016, 09:00:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2016, 08:35:26 PM

Funny how those two dudes felt like they couldn't go to a safe place until the big wig asked them too, 20 seconds after gunfire starts.  The civilized world would be in trouble when Russian military learns how to empower its soldiers with common sense.
:P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Now I sorta want to re-read Red Storm Rising.

C-in-C West is under arrest

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 13, 2016, 08:42:26 PM
Although, I might get a giant war boner if the joint US/Russian airstrikes actually happen against ISIS.

Warthogs and Frogfoots? I need clean pants.

They pulled out all of the Frogfeet awhile ago.