News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Given all the difficulty the US and allies have had with the Afghanistan generation of islamists/terrorists, I wonder what this new generation from the Syrian conflict will bring ?

For one thing there's going to be a lot more of them, given Syria is a relatively short hop across a land border for many, compared to the previous long trip to the north-west Pakistan mountains
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2012, 12:49:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 12:47:11 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2012, 12:39:54 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 13, 2012, 12:37:46 AM
He'd be crazy not to use chemical weapons at this point.

meh, he can still show up in Riyhad and get asylum.. after gassing saudi volunteers maybe not so much

I doubt that.  There aren't that many places he can go.  Iran might take him.  I'm sure the Russians would gladly take him, and then sell him back for concessions.  You might be able to find some loopy African state to take him, like Sudan or possibly Chavez in Venezuela.  Chavez seems to enjoy making provocative moves for little or no gain.

The saudis have a long history of providing asylum for the truely evil that happen to be muslim. They take this guardianship of the two mosques thing seriously. If assad goes on haji with a shitload of money in his pocket he can stay.

Uh, he's a secularist, an Alawite, and an ally of Saudi Arabia's biggest enemy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 12:03:16 PM

assuming he's a better muslim than idi amin he's still in with a chance
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2012, 12:28:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 12:03:16 PM

assuming he's a better muslim than idi amin he's still in with a chance

I'm guessing you just don't get it.  It's be like Napoleon trying to get asylum with the Church of England.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 13, 2012, 07:29:02 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 13, 2012, 12:23:20 AM
He's also been reduced to dropping naval mines on the enemy from the air.

It looks so sad it didn't explode. :(

lol, it does, doesn't it.  Looks like it's crying.  It has failed to do the one thing in life it was supposed to do.

Let there be light!

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2012, 12:49:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 12:47:11 AM
Quote from: Viking on December 13, 2012, 12:39:54 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 13, 2012, 12:37:46 AM
He'd be crazy not to use chemical weapons at this point.

meh, he can still show up in Riyhad and get asylum.. after gassing saudi volunteers maybe not so much

I doubt that.  There aren't that many places he can go.  Iran might take him.  I'm sure the Russians would gladly take him, and then sell him back for concessions.  You might be able to find some loopy African state to take him, like Sudan or possibly Chavez in Venezuela.  Chavez seems to enjoy making provocative moves for little or no gain.

The saudis have a long history of providing asylum for the truely evil that happen to be muslim. They take this guardianship of the two mosques thing seriously. If assad goes on haji with a shitload of money in his pocket he can stay.
He's not a Muslim.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2012, 12:53:56 PM
Let there be light!

Heh, I wonder if I'm the only other person to have seen that movie on this board?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2012, 01:55:33 PM
Heh, I wonder if I'm the only other person to have seen that movie on this board?  :lol:

Considering the amounts of nerds here: unlikely. I guess Yi hasn't seen it, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Tamas

I remember seeing it as a kid but I can't remember its title

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Are you fucking serious? It's Dark Star.   Inspiration for Alien. Of course I've seen it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2012, 01:57:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 13, 2012, 01:55:33 PM

Considering the amounts of nerds here: unlikely.

Wadaya know, you were right.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 13, 2012, 12:40:49 AM
I'm not sure what you are talking about.  I'm not a big fan of the Assad regime, I'm just not a big fan of the rebels either.  But you know me, I'm not a big fan of revolutions.
The Baathist regimes seem to be fine with sectarianism when divvying up the spoils.  The original Baathism may have been secularist, I think that's far too grand a description for the Assads or the Husseins.
Let's bomb Russia!