News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Syria Disintegrating: Part 2

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2012, 01:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on December 19, 2018, 04:53:37 PM
I guess the US being a Russian vassal state will avert WW3 for now, but I do feel sorry for the Kurds.

Back to business as usual, Kurds always get used by others and then shafted at the end.

Admiral Yi

I think it's a defensible move.  We originally became involved in Syria ostensibly to defeat ISIS.  That has been 90% completed.  Mission-creep was pushing us to become a player in the 12-sided civil/proxy war.

And if Bolton looks like a doofus because of it, that's a bonus.

mongers

Turkey's chance now to be a major power embroiled in Syria for years on end?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on December 19, 2018, 06:05:39 PM

I do wonder if Iran or Russia can possibly get anything more out of Syria this way that they don't already have. I doubt US troops could remove their influence by being there. So apart from green lighting the coming destruction of the Kurds I don't mind the move.

And Turkey is especially welcome to try and play Ottoman Empire in the Syrian mess while their economy is on the brink of ruin.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on December 19, 2018, 06:09:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 19, 2018, 06:05:39 PM

I do wonder if Iran or Russia can possibly get anything more out of Syria this way that they don't already have. I doubt US troops could remove their influence by being there. So apart from green lighting the coming destruction of the Kurds I don't mind the move.

And Turkey is especially welcome to try and play Ottoman Empire in the Syrian mess while their economy is on the brink of ruin.

Sure, it's not like Turkey has leverage on Europe with "migrants".

jimmy olsen

Trump's dementia is getting ridiculous

Quote.Russia, Iran, Syria & many others are not happy about the U.S. leaving, despite what the Fake News says, because now they will have to fight ISIS and others, who they hate, without us. I am building by far the most powerful military in the world. ISIS hits us they are doomed!

9:16 PM - Dec 20, 2018
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Putin just said in his yearly press conference today that he thinks it's a good decision by Trump, at least a full hour before that tweet.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

"they will have to fight ISIS"

I thought ISIS is defeated?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2018, 08:41:17 AM
"they will have to fight ISIS"

I thought ISIS is defeated?

Your rigidity toward what's true and what's not from one hour to the next will leave you behind the times, Syt.

The Minsky Moment

There is a Trumpian logic to this. Trump prizes unpredictability and doing something without warning that contradicts announced policy fits nicely within that. He doesn't like paying for troops overseas. He likes being able to declare victory and claim "promises kept," much more than having an actual victory. He is not interested in policy and thus the tension between this move and the US anti-Iranian policy is not a concern.

It's pointless to talk about whether it's a good move because how does one evaluate a troop withdrawal (or commitment) without an understanding of the strategic context?  Trump has no strategy, no policy and thus there is no context to evaluate.

Like Yi the idea of egg on Bolton's face makes me smile in the abstract.  But in the concrete Bolton is out there as the official voice of US foreign policy.  I don't like that voice but IMO it's not a great improvement to have Bolton declaring what policy is while Trump takes actions without consultation in derogation of that policy. This kind of unpredictability doesn't deter or intimidate foes and competitors, it just confuses the hell out of allies.  To the extent we still have allies . . .

EDIT: the other context in which this move makes perfect sense is if you assume Trump accepts the Putin view of the world of traditional Great Power politics and spheres of influence, and that Trump has agreed to cede Syria and Lebanon to the Russian sphere. His otherwise mystifying tweet makes more sense viewed that way. i
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

One of the Syrian Kurd leaders warned against a likely loss of control over foreign jihadis held by by Syrian Turks in case of a Turkish offensive. Not to mention withdrawing from the battle against Daesh.
I guess that's one way to get support from France and other European countries now that Trump pulls out.

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2018, 07:41:07 AM
One of the Syrian Kurd leaders warned against a likely loss of control over foreign jihadis held by by Syrian Turks in case of a Turkish offensive. Not to mention withdrawing from the battle against Daesh.
I guess that's one way to get support from France and other European countries now that Trump pulls out.

If there's no desire to get behind the Kurds and give them a proper state so they won't be constantly fucked up by all their overlords, then it is better to just pull out and leave the bloody mess to the various dictators. Good luck trying to get any use out of the country in the next 20 years. And Syria was a Soviet/Russian satellite anyways, so it's just going back to status quo, except Turkey and Iran will also have a say. Putin is welcome to sort that out.

It just should not have been done this sudden way.

Syt

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/13/politics/trump-turkey-kurds/index.html

QuoteTrump threatens to 'devastate' Turkey's economy if they attack Kurds in Syria

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Starting the long overdue pullout from Syria while hitting the little remaining ISIS territorial caliphate hard, and from many directions. Will attack again from existing nearby base if it reforms. Will devastate Turkey economically if they hit Kurds. Create 20 mile safe zone....

....Likewise, do not want the Kurds to provoke Turkey. Russia, Iran and Syria have been the biggest beneficiaries of the long term U.S. policy of destroying ISIS in Syria - natural enemies. We also benefit but it is now time to bring our troops back home. Stop the ENDLESS WARS!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.