And we're back!

Main Menu

How dumb are conservatives?

Started by katmai, May 21, 2012, 09:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2012, 01:32:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2012, 01:05:14 AM
One of the worst features of modern democracy is that everyone has a vote and each vote is equal.

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried." - Leonard Nimoy  :D

or was it Spock........ :yeahright:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

2001 seems to have been a magical year of convergence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 21, 2012, 11:28:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2012, 11:15:44 PM
True, I only went GOP in 2011 but now in 2012 we're on an uptick. :yeah:

Heh, gay minority said "we".

We can be whatever we want. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on May 22, 2012, 05:47:20 AM
Some Republicans are not terribly up to date with the more recent events either:

QuoteRep. Pitts Calls Arafat, Sharon to Come Back to the Table

Rep. Joe Pitts recently replied to a constituent's letter with a rather interesting position on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Yasser Arafat and Ariel Sharon need to come back to the negotiating table. There's just one problem. Arafat has been dead since 2004 and Sharon in a coma since 2006.

The out-of-date letter was posted on the blog Mondoweiss by journalist Ian Rhodewalt. His father, a resident of the 16th district, wrote a letter to Pitts in 2011. His response came last month, and included this description of Pitts' stance:

"With the global war against terrorism, it is now incumbent on Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Palestinian Authority (PA) Chairman Yasir Arafat to clamp down on Palestinian extremists that have perpetuated violence and to restart a peace process that has collapsed."

Oops.
At least they're not going to walk out of negotiations this time.

alfred russel

It looks like post 9/11 we had our most intelligent discourse. Apparently debates on whether to nuke Mecca if terrorists come back, exclamations of "f Bin Laden" and "f Saddam", and spontaneous "USA! USA!" chants are as smart sounding as we get.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2012, 08:18:41 AM

That's adorable.  I bet the GOPtards will think so when you show up at the RNC in a sequined Speedo and feather boa to show off your GOP Pride.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 08:52:52 AM

That's adorable.  I bet the GOPtards will think so when you show up at the RNC in a sequined Speedo and feather boa to show off your GOP Pride.

I'm unlikely to appear in Florida. The humidity might make me sweat threw my chiffon. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2012, 08:52:52 AM

Just saw a video of some pastor in NC talking about how we should put all garbon-Americans in camps with electric fences in between rants about Obama.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2012, 09:32:10 AM
Just saw a video of some pastor in NC talking about how we should put all garbon-Americans in camps with electric fences in between rants about Obama.

Yeah, saw that one last night.  Definitely raising the tolerance bar for North Carolina pastors.  :lol:

Admiral Yi

I expect a deal deal of the difference is explained by geography.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2012, 10:14:29 AM
I expect a deal deal of the difference is explained by geography.

I think they just try to outdo one another on local cable access.  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Latest exhibit:

Representative Daniel "This is not a scientific survey, it's a random survey" Webster.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2012, 01:34:30 PM
Latest exhibit:

Representative Daniel "This is not a scientific survey, it's a random survey" Webster.
When viewed in context, it's not stupid at all.  It's downright evil and petrifying, for me personally.  This gem was dropped in support of gutting the government agency that collects all sorts of statistics, and whose value is immense.  It's like filth like this are actively trying to sabotage the country in every little way they can, because they figure that the more ignorant the country is, the more it's likely to benefit them politically, short term and long term.

Martinus

The stupid should form their own party - they would win all the elections.

DontSayBanana

Did they all hire the same speech writers in 2001?  Because that's just freaky.

Anyway, all this shows is that the grade level of the speeches has gone down.  It doesn't indicate which speeches are being analyzed, so it doesn't tell us whether their own intelligence is in question, whether the conflicts in Congress have led to congressmen and congresswomen "talking down" to perceived inferior colleagues, or that this is simply an effect of greater populism on the part of congressmen and congresswomen (I suspect a 60/40 mix of the latter and the former).
Experience bij!