News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jewish baby names, in America

Started by Siege, May 21, 2012, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Speaking as someone with a weird name, give your kid a normal common fucking name. His name isn't their to make you feel special. You'll spend a week thinking about it, he'll spend a life living with it. David. Go with david. super jewish and normal. win for everyone.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on May 24, 2012, 06:03:26 PM
Oh, I'm sure you start to see Lettowian or Martinian signs pretty early on.

Like claiming to be "non-hispanic white" when you're hispanic?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2012, 06:10:48 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 24, 2012, 06:03:59 PM
I agree with my learned college from chinktown. That name will have him tormented.

I thank my esteemed vo-tech from Trashylvannia for his concurrence.

You are welcome. Lets go to the titty bar.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 24, 2012, 06:12:16 PM
Speaking as someone with a weird name, give your kid a normal common fucking name. His name isn't their to make you feel special. You'll spend a week thinking about it, he'll spend a life living with it. David. Go with david. super jewish and normal. win for everyone.

I dunno man.  My name isn't super weird or anything, but by being 'initials guy' my whole life has been somewhat unique. But I wouldn't trade my name for anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

But those initials are your choice. I mean my name isn't that bad, all I really got,  sometimes still get, is "hilarious".  But there are kids I grew up with that had it much worse. Another consideration is that "ethnic names" are disadvantaged in things like job prospects. Although I don't know if that would count for Jewish sounding names.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on May 24, 2012, 05:32:39 PM
My wife doesn't want a common name, like David, Yonathan, Joel, or Joshua.

I think we are going to go with Adriel (Follower of G-d).

How does Adriel sounds to you?

Then it's your duty to hit your wife.  Considering how often people pick goofy names these days, you kid won't have that common a name if you pick something like David.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 24, 2012, 06:42:09 PM
But those initials are your choice. I mean my name isn't that bad, all I really got,  sometimes still get, is "hilarious".  But there are kids I grew up with that had it much worse. Another consideration is that "ethnic names" are disadvantaged in things like job prospects. Although I don't know if that would count for Jewish sounding names.

But my common name is, well, so damn common. There are three others in my office alone.

I think the trick is to be unusual, but not too unusual.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Or give your kid a normal first name and unique middle name and let them choose.

Kids are cruel, don't give them more fodder then he have already.

Admiral Yi

How much grief did you catch in school Hillary?  How many tighty whities did your parents have to buy?

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 24, 2012, 06:53:43 PM

How much grief did you catch in school Hillary?  How many tighty whities did your parents have to buy?
I was always big for my age and he tallest until I was 16 or so, so i never got bullied in a physical sense. Moved around a lot too so I got good at making friends. I did get Hilary's and Hilarious' a lot. Kids are gonna pick on kids no matter what, I know, but you didn't need to give them ammunition. I've known a few weird or unfortunate named kids from the aforementioned moving around a lot. A girl named Sukdeep who would go home crying every night and a boy named Ashleigh come to mind.

Mainly it's the trend of children as accessories that annoys me. Your choices have consequences in your kids life.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Indian girl born here. Her parents should have known. Her brother had a weird name too, but I can't recall what.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on May 24, 2012, 07:05:23 PM
Mainly it's the trend of children as accessories that annoys me.

I see it in my sister's Mommy group, the clique that all got preggers and delivered together.  How right you are, man.  They're accessorizes, somewhere in value between the BMW and the Tag Heuer.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney