Two Yukon Mounties charged with sexual assault

Started by Barrister, March 12, 2009, 05:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteYukon Mountie charged with sexual assault is brother of NHL player
Last Updated: Thursday, March 12, 2009 | 3:49 PM CT Comments24Recommend19CBC News
One of two Yukon RCMP officers charged with sexual assault is Graham Belak, the brother of NHL hockey player Wade Belak.

Court documents obtained Thursday by CBC News show that Graham Belak, 29, and Shawn McLaughlin, 32, were charged Wednesday after a woman in the southern Yukon town of Watson Lake told police that she was sexually assaulted Sunday by two off-duty officers from the local detachment.

The incident was reported to RCMP on Monday morning, according to police. In announcing the charges on Wednesday, RCMP said they would not release the officers' names until they make their first court appearance.

Belak and McLaughlin, who were both suspended from the police force with pay, are scheduled to appear before a circuit court judge in Watson Lake on April 6.

The younger brother of Wade Belak, a forward and defenceman with the NHL's Nashville Predators, Graham Belak is himself well-known among hockey players and officials in Whitehorse.

On his website, Wade Belak said his brother had played in some lower-tier professional leagues, including the American Hockey League and Elite Ice Hockey League in the United Kingdom.

Aside from working from the Whitehorse RCMP detachment last year, Graham Belak played hockey and helped coach a midget boys hockey team in the Yukon capital.

The investigation continues into the sexual assault charges, led by the Yukon RCMP's major crimes section.

Observers from the Edmonton city police and the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP are monitoring the investigation to ensure it is impartial and free of conflicts of interest.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2009/03/12/watson-officers.html

I don't know why they drag the brother into it.

Holy crap by the way.  There's a lot I could share, and a hell of a lot of opinions that I have having worked with McLaughlin a fair bit (and Belak just a little bit), but I'll sum it up as:

Holy Fuck!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2009, 05:53:58 PM
Any truth to it?

No clue.  I heard what the names were before it was made public, but nothing else.  There is no chance our office will prosecute this matter.

Evil Spock

I feel I should comment on this, but I have nothing to add to 'Holy Fuck!'

Neil

Any truth to it?
How would he know?  It's not like they invite BB along when they want to gangbang some skank.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 06:05:06 PM
Any truth to it?
How would he know?  It's not like they invite BB along when they want to gangbang some skank.

Maybe he knew more details about the victim.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2009, 06:08:11 PM
Maybe he knew more details about the victim.

I have heard a couple of miniscule snippets of information but it would be completely inappropriate to post it.

Information about the case at all that is, not the victim.  I don't even know who the victim is.

Martinus

Fortunately they weren't leading a lifestyle that BB wouldn't accept.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2009, 06:12:30 PM

If their lifestyle includes committing sexual assault its safe to say I don't accept that...

And as I said in the other thread it depends what you mean by "accept".  It's a moot point now in Canada but at the time I didn't support gay marriage.  :mellow:

DisturbedPervert

Quotehelped coach a midget boys hockey team in the Yukon capital.

Most disappointing google ever.  Midget hockey doesn't actually contain any actual midgets. 

Ed Anger

QuoteWade Belak, a forward and defenceman with the NHL's Nashville Predators

I guess I need to kick the pixel version of him off my NHL 09 rosters.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 12, 2009, 06:12:30 PM
I'd trust a rapist before I'd trust a homosexual.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 06:23:11 PM

I'm pretty honest and harmless.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 12, 2009, 06:32:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 06:23:11 PM

I'm pretty honest and harmless.
Your silly hair dye says otherwise.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2009, 06:48:52 PM
Your silly hair dye says otherwise.

I do have some black dye in my medicine cabinet.  Other than that, I'm tapped out. :'(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.