Started by Martinus, May 17, 2012, 05:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 17, 2012, 12:12:13 PM
Needless to say, never say that to a Greek or a Turk  :lol:

Yeah, them's fightin' words.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2012, 10:38:28 AM
Still, I think the best Eurovision period was in the 70s. From the 12 contests 1970 through 1981 I recognize 8 winners ("All Kinds of Everything", "Un banc, un arbre, une rue", "Waterloo", "Ding-A-Dong", "Save Your Kisses for Me", "Hallelujah", "What's Another Year?", "Making Your Mind Up"). Plus, there's memorable runners up ("Beg, Steal, Or Borrow", "Jack In The Box", "Power To All Our Friends", "Un, Deux, Trois", ...).

Of the past 12 contests from 2000 through 2011 only two winners stood out to me ("Wild Dances", "Hard Rock Hallelujah").

Half the time I take the girlfriend into Victoria's Secret, they're playing that fucking "Satellite" song.  Good to know she's found an American audience.
Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 17, 2012, 12:12:13 PM
The Turks are getting pretty mellow nowadays; aside from the call to prayer I couldn't see much of a social difference between Istanbul and Athens.

Needless to say, never say that to a Greek or a Turk  :lol:

Most people I know who went to visit both cities prefer Istanbul over Athens. They say it's cleaner, the food's better and it's overall just nicer. Some commented that Istanbul feels more like a western city than Athens does.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Istanbul has a better location, the Bosphorus is a breezy place and so the air is definitely fresher. Taking that into account I can't say there is much between them. Though my first visit to Athens was such a disappointment that the place has always pleased me on the upside on subsequent visits  :D

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2012, 09:10:23 AM
It's fun how Russia has, in five years, gone from:

to:

Sad part is ... those three at the back are the same women, five years later.

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

A good friend of mine will be performing with the Spanish troupe.  :ph34r: :ph34r:

Syt

I actually like the Icelandic song, though that of course means they have no chance of winning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8RS0eulXDo&list=PL78E2A578122E10B1&index=16&feature=plpp_video

And I award Slovakia the Jon-Bon-Jovi-Memorial-Award:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2_7YdLk1Tc&list=PL78E2A578122E10B1&index=29&feature=plpp_video

The WTF-Award goes to Montenegro for Rombo Amadeus' "Euro Neuro":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6S-FNLv2jQ&list=PL78E2A578122E10B1&index=13&feature=plpp_video
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.