Too Big To Learn A Lesson: JP Morgan Assfucks Itself

Started by CountDeMoney, May 11, 2012, 11:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2012, 09:19:42 AM

Say it was a joint IRA with my wife, and we had agreed that we weren't going to speculate with our retirement money.

Umm. Then get it out of the IRA, because it's all speculation.  :P

Even holding a 100% cash position is speculative.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2012, 02:48:05 PM

Umm. Then get it out of the IRA, because it's all speculation.  :P

:rolleyes:  Even I know his argument was about women and their being unfit to invest.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Jamie Dimon was on Meet The Press yesterday, bitching about the "criticism" Wall Street's been getting from the left the last couple years.  I thought it was adorable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2012, 07:29:37 AM
Jamie Dimon was on Meet The Press yesterday, bitching about the "criticism" Wall Street's been getting from the left the last couple years.  I thought it was adorable.

Amen.  Very apt quotation marks.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2012, 07:34:18 AM

Of course you think it is.  After all, Wall Street has your interests at heart, Yi.  Yes, you specifically.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2012, 07:43:14 AM
Of course you think it is.  After all, Wall Street has your interests at heart, Yi.  Yes, you specifically.

The difference between you and Raz is that after about six lines of identical diatribe you admit you're just making shit up whereas Raz ragesulks because I won't respond to his ossum question.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2012, 07:46:16 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2012, 07:43:14 AM

The difference between you and Raz is that after about six lines of identical diatribe you admit you're just making shit up whereas Raz ragesulks because I won't respond to his ossum question.

I pay no attention to Raz.  We may be in the same school, but he's in the class that eats lunch by itself and the short bus picks him up an hour earlier. 
I care not for his safety scissors and circles of paper.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 14, 2012, 07:50:40 AM
I pay no attention to Raz.  We may be in the same school, but he's in the class that eats lunch by itself and the short bus picks him up an hour earlier. 
I care not for his safety scissors and circles of paper.

OK, three differences.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2012, 07:34:18 AM

I remember a couple of years ago, at the depths of the financial crisis, you seemed to do adopt a far more reasonable tone.  When did you revert to being a WSJ tool?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 14, 2012, 08:14:54 AM
I remember a couple of years ago, at the depths of the financial crisis, you seemed to do adopt a far more reasonable tone.  When did you revert to being a WSJ tool?

Don't know what you've been smoking; Yi has always cast his lot with the Daddy Warbucks Free Market crowd.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2012, 06:41:54 AM
I did my own calculation based on an FT article that said the loss dropped JP Morgan's capital from 8.4% to 8.2% and came up with $791 loss on 32K.

The calc is based on the publicly revealed size of the portfolio which is $360 billion (so it really should have been a 36K IRA).
It's very difficult to try to back in through the capital % because of all the weirdness involved in risk-weighted captial measures.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Say it was a joint IRA with my wife, and we had agreed that we weren't going to speculate with our retirement money. If she then announced a $200 speculative loss, I would be concerned.

And your wife responds - but I wasn't really doing speculative trading, and when I told you what I was doing 2 months ago, you didn't complain out about it then.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2012, 09:01:20 AM
Say it was a joint IRA with my wife, and we had agreed that we weren't going to speculate with our retirement money. If she then announced a $200 speculative loss, I would be concerned.

And your wife responds - but I wasn't really doing speculative trading, and when I told you what I was doing 2 months ago, you didn't complain out about it then.
sounds just like a woman :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.