Too Big To Learn A Lesson: JP Morgan Assfucks Itself

Started by CountDeMoney, May 11, 2012, 11:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habsburg

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2012, 12:15:25 PM
It's not like they won't be bailed out, so why shouldn't they risk 2 billion in 6 weeks?

Except when they finally have it under control it may be as high as 5 billion.

DGuller

Quote from: Habsburg on May 11, 2012, 10:23:45 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2012, 12:15:25 PM
It's not like they won't be bailed out, so why shouldn't they risk 2 billion in 6 weeks?

Except when they finally have it under control it may be as high as 5 billion.
So what?  They'll just withhold 10% of the planned bonus payments, and they're even.

Habsburg

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on May 11, 2012, 01:22:55 PM
Sometimes, you make your bank crash.  See the Barrings case.  The guy used derivatives to offset his position.  2 more weeks and he would have been back in the money, recovered all his losses.  But alas, there was an earthquake in Kobe.  Stock market crashed.  Deeply.  Bankruptcy.

Where are you getting this from?  The movie made it out that derivatives, Nikei futures to be exact, were his entire position.  And that was what Barings sent him to Singapore to do, trade in Nikei futures. 

The problem was he concealed the size of his bets from London.

The Minsky Moment

Let's say you got a $32,000 stock portfolio in an IRA account,
Let's say that over a few weeks you lose $200 on a couple trades.  Would that cause you to panic?

Your loss in proportion to your total portfolio is equal to JP Morgan estimated loss on these derivative positions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

A couple of billion here, a couple of billion there - eventually it is gonna be real money.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 12, 2012, 07:04:59 PM
Let's say that over a few weeks you lose $200 on a couple trades.  Would that cause you to panic?

Your loss in proportion to your total portfolio is equal to JP Morgan estimated loss on these derivative positions.
... so what you're trying to say is that they have too much money? Iagree. Lets tear down the machine! :menace: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

CdM is the only one with an IRA account here.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2012, 12:20:44 AM

CdM is the only one with an IRA account here.
:lol:

jimmy olsen

QuoteJP Morgan Assfucks Itself

Finally, a topic that CdM can talk about with authority.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Isn't it different because your IRA is all equity, whereas JP Morgan is highly leveraged?

Admiral Yi

I did my own calculation based on an FT article that said the loss dropped JP Morgan's capital from 8.4% to 8.2% and came up with $791 loss on 32K.

alfred russel

Say it was a joint IRA with my wife, and we had agreed that we weren't going to speculate with our retirement money. If she then announced a $200 speculative loss, I would be concerned.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2012, 09:19:42 AM
Say it was a joint IRA with my wife, and we had agreed that we weren't going to speculate with our retirement money. If she then announced a $200 speculative loss, I would be concerned.

That's why women should stay in the kitchen.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on May 13, 2012, 09:45:47 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2012, 09:19:42 AM

That's why women should stay in the kitchen.

With a smart phone, and an etrade app?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014