Argentina law lets people identify own gender

Started by garbon, May 11, 2012, 09:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/world/americas/argentina-gender-identity/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2

QuoteLawmakers in Argentina have approved a gender identity law that allows individuals to be recognized in official documents by the gender they choose.

Argentinians have the right to be treated in accordance with their own gender identity, and the government is required to recognize it as well, the law states.

The law gained final approval from the Senate on Wednesday.

"It is understood that gender identity is the internal and individual way that a person experiences their gender, which may or may not correspond with the sex assigned at birth," the law states.

This means that people 18 or older in Argentina can go to a government office and change the gender listed on official documents if they choose.

The law is meant to include people who undergo sex change operations or hormone treatments to look like the opposite sex, but it goes further than that.

Those who dress, talk or have manners like someone of the opposite sex also qualify to have their documents changed to recognize their self-identity.

A push for such a law began under the late President Nestor Kirchner, and the cause was taken up by his wife and presidential successor, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.

"(The law) is a path toward equality, inclusion and recognition of rights for all Argentinians," Vice President Amado Boudou said. "Today is a day when thousands and thousands of Argentinians have new rights, without anyone else losing an ounce of their own rights."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Interesting...how does one go about changing ones gender legally here?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2012, 09:41:05 AM
Interesting...how does one go about changing ones gender legally here?
I don't know about the US but I don't think you can in the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2012, 12:30:04 PM
Can I register as a lipstick lesbian?
you're more the butch type, I think.

See, this sexy fox wants you:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2012, 02:12:01 PM
Man, that dude is UGLY.
It is a woman, in case anyone would take you seriously, a politician of sort for the radical left party (Québec Solidaire).  Confirmed lesbian.  Fits CdM desires though.  She certainly has the strenght to tie him to a chair and abuse him all night long with her girlfriend:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

You never told us your politicians were so handsome. :mmm:

Habsburg

DontSayBanana

It's already possible, legally, in the US- it's state jurisdiction, so obviously the rules change from state to state, but most either let you edit a birth certificate or have a new one issued after jumping through some hoops (NJ's rule is re-issue; one of my female friends married a trans-male a couple years ago and they had to do this stuff to make sure it was a marriage and not a civil union).
Experience bij!