Romney's Bullying/Gay Bashing High School Days

Started by jimmy olsen, May 10, 2012, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2012, 04:16:26 PM

It has been nearly 50 years since the alleged incident.  I'm sure when there's that much time between me & my high school years, I'll have forgotten a lot of stuff I did, good or bad.  And there's a good chance that the story itself might be a bit different than it was originally reported.

True, he could have been much, much worse.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Maximus on May 11, 2012, 04:42:09 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2012, 04:25:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2012, 04:18:35 PM
Jeez, overreact much? :huh:
I would expect criminal charges if a group of 18 years olds jumped me and cut off my hair. And I have a lot less hair than the average high school student.  :(
Yea, physical assault is a criminal matter. The tendency to laugh it off just because it happens in school is disgusting and makes it difficult to clamp down on that sort of thing.
This having been said. It's not really relevant in this case. The statute of limitations is probably out on this one.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on May 11, 2012, 04:49:28 PM
This having been said. It's not really relevant in this case. The statute of limitations is probably out on this one.

That, and the victim died in 2004.  :lol:

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2012, 04:53:46 PM

Well, I think somebody ought to look into how the victim died.  :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on May 11, 2012, 05:01:40 PM

Well, I think somebody ought to look into how the victim died.  :ph34r:

The Clintons did it.

alfred russel

Someone should look into whether the Romneys have baptised him yet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 11, 2012, 04:37:09 PM
I finally ended the bullying by the second guy on one clear morning.  While he was home sleepping, I got on the plane and flew to Warsaw, and from there flew to New York, with my family.  The sadist never bothered me again after that.

:D
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on May 11, 2012, 04:31:30 PM
Well, the thing is Romney's kind of a dick. This childhood story is believable because it supports that.

Just like most of the stories about Obama's childhood brought up in supports the narrative that he's not at all an average white guy but rather at least a little bit foreign.

Someone contrasted this to a story about Bush who apparently took up for a gay guy getting harrassed in college by saying, "why don't you try walking a mile in his shoes first?" You had a sense that Bush at his core was a basically decent guy. You don't get that with Romney.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2012, 04:14:40 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 11, 2012, 03:57:58 PM
Having said that no-one should be judged for what they did at high school.  But I still think Romney's lying when he says he doesn't remember this.  He should have said 'yeah this happened, I'm sorry to those, but I was a jerk at high school - that happens'.
I disagree--I think he was 18 in the story, and if not he was close to it. Getting a group of people together to attack and then cut the hair of a guy that is suspected of being gay (or at least different) is criminal. If a story like this came up and the students went to jail, I don't think anyone would be appalled by a criminal charge.

He can't admit that he remembers doing the things in the story because they are actually really bad. Until he admits them, the reporting of the story has to reflect some possibility that it isn't true.
See, this was in the sixties, before all that lawyer crybaby bullshit that has resulted in six-year olds getting perp-walked in cuffs.

You're everything that's wrong with the world.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2012, 05:34:31 PM

Someone should look into whether the Romneys have baptised him yet.
:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on May 11, 2012, 05:43:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 11, 2012, 04:31:30 PM
Well, the thing is Romney's kind of a dick. This childhood story is believable because it supports that.

Just like most of the stories about Obama's childhood brought up in supports the narrative that he's not at all an average white guy but rather at least a little bit foreign.

Someone contrasted this to a story about Bush who apparently took up for a gay guy getting harrassed in college by saying, "why don't you try walking a mile in his shoes first?" You had a sense that Bush at his core was a basically decent guy. You don't get that with Romney.
Bush did have a frat boy douchebag vibe about him, but yeah, I would generally agree that politics aside, he was a pretty decent guy.  Romney gives off a sociopath vibe.

derspiess

I always thought Mitt came across as a likable guy, even when I opposed him.

I suppose anyone who dare run against Obama becomes teh evol here though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Camerus

Quote from: Barrister on May 11, 2012, 04:21:58 PM
Jesus Christ.

I don't give a fuck what Mitt Romney did in high school.

Really? Romney, at 17 or 18 years of age, targeted, planned and then assaulted an innocent person.  Seems odd to just dismiss it out of hand.

Though granted, this was back in the '60's, when fag bashing and youth violence generally was as mainstream as Tweeting.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2012, 06:59:12 PM
I always thought Mitt came across as a likable guy, even when I opposed him.

I suppose anyone who dare run against Obama becomes teh evol here though.

Yeah, bullies do tend to like one another.  I didn't care for him to begin with, even if he is a Democrat who has infiltrated the GOP.  He's like what you would get if you asked Central Casting for a guy who looked like a president.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

What an amazing non-story this is, eh? A little acting up by high school kids in the 60s! The guy who claimed it bothered him for a long time apparently only learned of it from the Post a little while ago. And he heard if from a friend of a friend, or someone else did. Great story Post! Front page! Lol. The family of the guy being talked about, who is deceased, want nothing to do with this story. Apparently it wasn't gay bashing, but hey it might have been,who knows. Certianly not the supposed witnesses.

Oh, and it comes out in Pres Obama's book that he was mean to girlfriends, probably in grade school or something? Maybe a right wing newspaper can do an expose on that, find some witnesses, or those who may know a friend of a witness. Lol..