News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How the Greek rescue failed

Started by Sheilbh, May 10, 2012, 10:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 17, 2012, 03:07:29 PM
I was wondering whether to go to Greece this year, but decided to wait a while as it is likely to be a lot cheaper next year  :(
I want to go and enjoy cheap Greece actually.  I'll say it's in the name of Euro-solidarity :P

I want to go to Tunisia too.  Still relatively cheap because of the revolution with none of the worries of a post-revolutionary situation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

I think that even if Barroso had gone to Greece every other week, nothing would have changed. The country would still be unreformable.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2012, 04:01:07 PM
I was wondering whether to go to Greece this year, but decided to wait a while as it is likely to be a lot cheaper next year  :(
I want to go and enjoy cheap Greece actually.  I'll say it's in the name of Euro-solidarity :P

I want to go to Tunisia too.  Still relatively cheap because of the revolution with none of the worries of a post-revolutionary situation.

You should do both.  I remember my one trip to NYC was November 2001 and was particularily memorable because it felt like being a part of history...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

On the other hand, this might be the last time to go to Germany for a while (if whatever currency they have appreciates quite a bit). I went to Norway last year, and the prices made it rather unpleasant. Well, along with the wind, rain, and cold, the prices made it unpleasant. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2012, 04:01:07 PM

I'm thinking of taking a short holiday to Tunisia next year, actually.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2012, 07:01:42 PM
On the other hand, this might be the last time to go to Germany for a while (if whatever currency they have appreciates quite a bit). I went to Norway last year, and the prices made it rather unpleasant. Well, along with the wind, rain, and cold, the prices made it unpleasant. :(
East Germany's still surprisingly cheap.  At least when I last went Berlin was not only amazing fun it was really, really affordable.

QuoteYou should do both.  I remember my one trip to NYC was November 2001 and was particularily memorable because it felt like being a part of history...
If I can afford either I will :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2012, 07:05:48 PMIf I can afford either I will :)
Just borrow the money and spend it. That's the way out of this economic crisis!

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on June 18, 2012, 01:11:55 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 17, 2012, 07:05:48 PMIf I can afford either I will :)

:lol:

Sad thing is that's indeed apparently the program of the "new wave" of the left in Europe.

Crazy_Ivan80

communolise your debt and let the rest of the family pay for your trip, that will help too and make your really popular. :p

Sheilbh

If someone was offering me loans with Gilt or Bund yields, I would :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Just leadership and engagement Shelf?  Surely there must be some more catch phrases Germany lacks. :lol:

Anyone know what the minimum wages are in Greece, Spain, and Italy?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2012, 07:31:10 PM
Anyone know what the minimum wages are in Greece, Spain, and Italy?
€600 in Greece, down from €800.  I think Italy's one of those countries (like Germany, until recently perhaps?) that doesn't have a minimum wage, but minimum wages set by collective bargaining for different industries.

Edit:  Apparently Spain's is around €650.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I assume we're talking per month? :unsure:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2012, 07:43:34 PM
I assume we're talking per month? :unsure:
Yeah.  I think many Euro countries do a statutory minimum per month for full time workers rather than an hourly rate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 18, 2012, 07:47:14 PM
Yeah.  I think many Euro countries do a statutory minimum per month for full time workers rather than an hourly rate.

So what happens with part time workers?