News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

May 9th Prediction: Obama or Romney?

Started by Jacob, May 09, 2012, 01:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you predict will win the 2012 US Presidential Election?

Obama will get re-elected
55 (83.3%)
Romney will be president
11 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 66

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2012, 07:11:01 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 11, 2012, 07:09:45 AM
The time is passed for Unions.

Oh, bullshit.

Federal Govt should do away with collective barganing rights.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hansmeister

There is very little chance of Obama getting reelected, unless Romney is caught in bed with a dead girl or a life boy.

His record has been a trainwreck, he is embarrassed to talk about his main achievements because they are so unpopular.  The economy has been extremely weak while he has done nothing to improve it.  He has governed in a hyperpartisan fashion and is running for reelection in the same way.  Since the GOP will control Congress after the election no matter who wins in November it is unclear how he should suddenly be able to govern afterwards.  Not to mention that he has no agenda which he is fighting a bunch of silly battles over women, dogs, and gays, instead of issues people actually care about.

In short, he has no record to run on, and no agenda to run on.  Combine that with a crappy economy I don't see how anyone thinks he will get reelected.  "Stay the course" isn't exactly a winning motto at this time.

At the end it will come down to whether the country wants another 4 years of this, which in the end only the lunatic left will agree on.  The polls might be close for a while, but in the end it will all break against Obama because there is no hope and no change left.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 11, 2012, 09:01:18 AM
Not to mention that he has no agenda which he is fighting a bunch of silly battles over women, dogs, and gays, instead of issues people actually care about.

People do not care about women?  Aren't they the majority of the voters? :hmm:

Anyway social issues is all the Democrats and Republicans have.  What is Mitt's and the GOP's brillaint agenda again?  Oh right not cutting spending by only going after things they know the Democrats will block.  Then Hans will come on again and say how the deficit doesn't matter anyway and we should all STFU like last time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

His record has been a trainwreck, he is embarrassed to talk about his main achievements because they are so unpopular.
That's your read.  Another possible one is that he's too busy doing the actual work and we'll probably hear more about it in the run-up to November.  Of course, a President who actually works does seem to be pretty unpopular, hence Carter.  I digress.
QuoteThe economy has been extremely weak while he has done nothing to improve it.
This is strictly talking points.  Anybody who's had the most basic civics class knows that POTUSA has almost zero influence on the economy.  All he has is input, and when the Republicans seem to operate on the principle of "if he's for it, we're against it," there's not much to be had there.  Boehner, Geithner, and Bernanke are the ones that need to get their shit together to fix the economy.
QuoteHe has governed in a hyperpartisan fashion and is running for reelection in the same way.
Wow.  Usually, there's a kernel of truth in the spin, Hansi, but this one is just flat-out wrong.  Remember the 2010 State of the Union address?  If anything's slanting his administration, it's disillusionment.
QuoteNot to mention that he has no agenda which he is fighting a bunch of silly battles over women, dogs, and gays, instead of issues people actually care about.
I dunno what the fuck you're talking about with dogs, but the >50% of the country that's female and/or gay might like to have a word with you when you're done ranting.

Shortest possible rebuttal: I love when people whine about the President's lack of influence, while completely missing the point that we designed the system to work that way.  All the President has is leadership, and when the rest of his government is as resistant to leadership as the current Congress (hell, Boehner can't even wrangle his own supermajority), it's more of a reflection on the people that we've put in the House and the Senate than the ones we've put in the White House.
Experience bij!

garbon

Yes I'm sure Obama is so busy doing amazing things that he doesn't have time to get sound bites out.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hansmeister

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2012, 09:20:47 AM
Yes I'm sure Obama is so busy doing amazing things that he doesn't have time to get sound bites out.

Well, he has spent more time on fundraisers than the previous 5 Presidents combined.  He spent more time playing golf in his first year than Bush did in 8 years, not to mention all those luxury vacations.  He has also average a party every three days in the White House.  He of course also spent more time on TV than any other President in the past.

But I'm sure it is all that hard work that is keeping him from getting his message out.  :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: Wow, the left sure has gone delusional in a big way.

DontSayBanana

Alright.  I'm retracting the hypothetical, because that was just stupid.  Glad to see you guys prioritized by substance, though. <_<
Experience bij!

Hansmeister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 11, 2012, 09:19:02 AM
His record has been a trainwreck, he is embarrassed to talk about his main achievements because they are so unpopular.
That's your read.  Another possible one is that he's too busy doing the actual work and we'll probably hear more about it in the run-up to November.  Of course, a President who actually works does seem to be pretty unpopular, hence Carter.  I digress.
QuoteThe economy has been extremely weak while he has done nothing to improve it.
This is strictly talking points.  Anybody who's had the most basic civics class knows that POTUSA has almost zero influence on the economy.  All he has is input, and when the Republicans seem to operate on the principle of "if he's for it, we're against it," there's not much to be had there.  Boehner, Geithner, and Bernanke are the ones that need to get their shit together to fix the economy.
QuoteHe has governed in a hyperpartisan fashion and is running for reelection in the same way.
Wow.  Usually, there's a kernel of truth in the spin, Hansi, but this one is just flat-out wrong.  Remember the 2010 State of the Union address?  If anything's slanting his administration, it's disillusionment.
QuoteNot to mention that he has no agenda which he is fighting a bunch of silly battles over women, dogs, and gays, instead of issues people actually care about.
I dunno what the fuck you're talking about with dogs, but the >50% of the country that's female and/or gay might like to have a word with you when you're done ranting.

Shortest possible rebuttal: I love when people whine about the President's lack of influence, while completely missing the point that we designed the system to work that way.  All the President has is leadership, and when the rest of his government is as resistant to leadership as the current Congress (hell, Boehner can't even wrangle his own supermajority), it's more of a reflection on the people that we've put in the House and the Senate than the ones we've put in the White House.

It might be a short rebuttal, but it is also a dumb rebuttal.  let me throw some actual facts at you:

On his econd day in office Obama spoke to the Congressional leaders about a stimulus bill.  When the GOP leadership tried to offer some suggestions on it Obama shut them out with "I won, I think I'm going to trump you on that", and subsequently completely shut them out of the debate.  That's bipartisanship for you!

Obama spent the next year and a half refusing to invite the GOP leadership over for consultations.  Bipartisanship!

When it came to Obamacare the Republicans in the House were not even allowed to view the bill before the vote "you have to vote for it before you can see what is in it" Pelosi famously pronounced.  In the Senate Susan Collins (R-ME) helped cosponsor the health reform bll, only to have Harry Reid scrap it when it came to the floor and substitute his own bill in its place (of course written in secret like the House bill), promptly endorsed by Obama.  So where was the bipartisanship then?

The only times there has been bipartisanship in Congress has been in opposition to Obama.  The GOP is far more adept at winning over Democratic votes than the Democratic leadership and the White House have been at winning over GOP votes.  And people said bipartisanship is dead, it lives as long as Obama isn't included.

When is the last time Democrats passed a budget?  3 years!  Harry Reid has made it clear that he won't even try passing budgets anymore.  The GOP in the House has passed budgets with bipartisan support.  Congress has voted unanimously in the last two years to reject Obama's budgets.  Who would have thought, unanimity in the Congress!

garbon

@Shame - Why would I read the rest of a post when it started like that?

11B4V

It's like watching Fox News or listening to a Rush broadcast.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 11, 2012, 09:15:20 AM
People do not care about women?  Aren't they the majority of the voters? :hmm:

I think he was referring to the specific "women's issue" that was being advanced by the administration.  You know, forcing insurance companies to cover a certain type of pill ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Hansmeister on May 11, 2012, 09:38:10 AM
On his econd day in office Obama spoke to the Congressional leaders about a stimulus bill.  When the GOP leadership tried to offer some suggestions on it Obama shut them out with "I won, I think I'm going to trump you on that", and subsequently completely shut them out of the debate.  That's bipartisanship for you!

LOL, ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

I had fun throwing that back at some people after the 2010 mid-terms.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall