Would Leaving the Euro Help the Irish Economy?

Started by Cerr, May 06, 2009, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

This sounds like something a Texas Secessionist would write.  'We wud be so much better without the darn gubmint'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 08:06:32 AM
This sounds like something a Texas Secessionist would write.  'We wud be so much better without the darn gubmint'

Continuing the proud Irish tradition of leaving mighty empires to become backwater hicks.

Josquius

[conspiracy theorist]
OMG! I KNEW IT!
Teh plan is for Ireland to leave the EU then Lisbon can be passed then the EU can be a nation and steel aal our freeeeedomz and then for Ireland ot join again they'll have to accept Lisbon first!!!1111
[/conspiracy theorist]

But seriously....Ireland leaving would be interesting as far as Lisbon and the future of the EU goes....
██████
██████
██████

Cerr

Quote from: Faeelin on May 07, 2009, 08:25:42 AM

Continuing the proud Irish tradition of leaving mighty empires to become backwater hicks.
:rolleyes:

Cerr

Eh to be fair to the writer, he's not arguing to leave the EU just the Euro currency.

Valmy

Quote from: Cerr on May 07, 2009, 08:52:54 AM
Eh to be fair to the writer, he's not arguing to leave the EU just the Euro.

It is the same sort of arguement...that things could be run better when you do not have to consider the interests of the rest of Union.  I find that thinking false, it may work out in the short term but in the long run it is best if the economic and monatary system is managed with the interests of the whole Union in mind.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2009, 08:55:08 AM
Eh to be fair to the writer, he's not arguing to leave the EU just the Euro.

It is the same sort of arguement...that things could be run better when you do not have to consider the interests of the rest of Union.  I find that thinking false, it may work out in the short term but in the long run it is best if the economic and monatary system is managed with the interests of the whole Union in mind.

I wonder if this is so. Are the European economies similar enough that having one currency is viable?

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on May 07, 2009, 09:02:49 AM
I wonder if this is so. Are the European economics similar enough that having one currency is viable?

They are tightly integrated to the point one currency is not just viable it is almost a necessity.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on May 07, 2009, 08:25:42 AM

Let's be fair.  Most of Ireland's people were always backwater hicks, even before they committed treason.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zanza

Quote from: Faeelin on May 07, 2009, 09:02:49 AMI wonder if this is so. Are the European economies similar enough that having one currency is viable?
That was the question from the very beginning. In the last ten years it was obviously viable. If it stays so in the future remains to be seen.

But then, what is an optimal size for an economy with one currency? We have economies like the United States, China and the Eurozone on the one hand and we have smallish countries with just millions or hundreds of thousands of inhabitants with their own currency. The bigger currency areas have considerable differences in their economies too. Do Michigan, New York, Texas, California and Hawaii have a similar economy? First is built on automobile industry, second is built on finances, third is built on high-tech and oil, fourth is built on high-tech and agriculture and fifth is built on tourism. Yet, they all have the same currency and it is doubtful they have the same economic cycles. Michigan was already bad off when the rest was still booming for example.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 07, 2009, 10:33:42 AM
But then, what is an optimal size for an economy with one currency? We have economies like the United States, China and the Eurozone on the one hand and we have smallish countries with just millions or hundreds of thousands of inhabitants with their own currency. The bigger currency areas have considerable differences in their economies too. Do Michigan, New York, Texas, California and Hawaii have a similar economy? First is built on automobile industry, second is built on finances, third is built on high-tech and oil, fourth is built on high-tech and agriculture and fifth is built on tourism. Yet, they all have the same currency and it is doubtful they have the same economic cycles. Michigan was already bad off when the rest was still booming for example.

I could not agree more.

Fate

Eh to be fair to the writer, he's not arguing to leave the EU just the Euro currency.
Rick Perry would sound just as insane if he argued that Texas should leave the dollar instead of complete secession.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on May 07, 2009, 09:43:39 PM
Irish are not europeans.
Fantastically incorrect.  You could argue that they're a bunch of rebels and traitors who should all be hanged, but they're definitely European.