Main Menu

BREAKING: Maine legalizes same-sex marriage

Started by Caliga, May 06, 2009, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:cool:

QuoteMaine legalizes same-sex marriage
State lawmakers passed bill Wednesday, and governor signed it

(CNN) -- Same-sex marriage became legal in Maine on Wednesday as Gov. John Baldacci signed a bill less than an hour after the state legislature approved it.

Maine Gov. John Baldacci signed a bill Wednesday legalizing same-sex marriage.

"I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage," said Baldacci, a Democrat.

But he raised the possibility that the residents of the state would overturn the law, saying, "Just as the Maine Constitution demands that all people are treated equally under the law, it also guarantees that the ultimate political power in the State belongs to the people."

Three other states -- Massachusetts, Connecticut and Iowa -- allow same-sex marriages. Vermont has passed a law making gay and lesbian marriages legal that takes effect in September. New Hampshire lawmakers are close to passing a similar bill.

On Tuesday, the Washington City Council voted to recognize same-sex marriages from states that allow those unions. Mayor Adrian Fenty has indicated that he will sign the measure. It will become law if Congress fails to overturn the measure during a 30-day review period.

A slim majority of Americans are against legal recognition for same-sex marriage, CNN polling found last month.

Fifty-four percent of adults questioned in an April 23-26 nationwide CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll said that marriages between gay or lesbian couples should not be recognized as valid, while 44 percent said they should be considered legal.

The survey's sampling error was plus or minus 3 percentage points.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

now those 4 gay guys in Maine can get married.
:p

Caliga

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 06, 2009, 12:21:19 PM
now those 4 gay guys in Maine can get married.

Prolly lots of bears (lumberjacks) up there. :perv:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Valmy

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 06, 2009, 12:34:59 PM
which they may have to rename to Bangim?

But only inside wedlock.  I will not have the sanctity of gay marriage insulted on this board.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Faeelin

Lessee.

So that means Maine, NH, MA have same-sex marriage. California, Washington, NJ have civil unions.

So we are now approaching what, a third of the country's population?

ulmont

Quote from: Faeelin on May 06, 2009, 12:41:28 PM
So that means Maine, NH, MA have same-sex marriage. California, Washington, NJ have civil unions.

Maine = 1,316,456 (2008 Census estimate)
New Hampshire = 1,315,809
Massachusetts = 6,497,967
California = 36,756,666
Washington = 6,549,224
New Jersey =  8,682,661
Total = 61,118,783

USA = 304,059,724

So no.  Unless you count 1/5 as "approaching 1/3."

Neil

Quote from: ulmont on May 06, 2009, 12:49:19 PM

California = 36,756,666
Washington = 6,549,224
New Jersey =  8,682,661
Total = 61,118,783

USA = 304,059,724

Maybe if you think that California has 50 million illegals?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

I'll raise a tumbler full of Allen's Coffee Brandy and milk to this news.  :Canuck:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

John Baldacci is the greatest person from Maine since Joshua Chamberlain.  Hell he is even greater than Wilt Chamberlain.

Faeelin

Quote from: ulmont on May 06, 2009, 12:49:19 PM

California = 36,756,666
Washington = 6,549,224
New Jersey =  8,682,661
Total = 61,118,783

USA = 304,059,724

Toss in Oregon, the population of Washignton DC, and New York State, which recognizes out of state marriages.

Then eat shit and die.  :hug:

Phillip V

Who is left in New England? Rhode Island?

Caliga

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the other day that DC's city council voted to legalize gay marriage as well.  The only dissenting vote came from Marion Barry.  :lol:

Congress still needs to approve that, though (technically the District of Columbia is governed by Congress).