News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

BREAKING: Maine legalizes same-sex marriage

Started by Caliga, May 06, 2009, 12:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2009, 01:24:53 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the other day that DC's city council voted to legalize gay marriage as well.  The only dissenting vote came from Marion Barry.  :lol:

Congress still needs to approve that, though (technically the District of Columbia is governed by Congress).

Note, though, he is warning of a civil war if this goes forward.

Hrmm. I really thought there was a Confederate smiley.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2009, 01:41:29 PM
Marion Barry is?  :lmfao:

QuoteBarry Warns of "Civil War" Over Gay Marriage

D.C. Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8), the only council member to vote against the bill today to legalize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, predicted today there could be a "civil war" in the District if the Council decides to take up a broader gay marriage bill later this year.

"All hell is going to break lose," Barry said while speaking to reporters. "We may have a civil war. The black community is just adamant against this."

Barry Warns of "Civil War" Over Gay Marriage

D.C. Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8), the only council member to vote against the bill today to legalize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, predicted today there could be a "civil war" in the District if the Council decides to take up a broader gay marriage bill later this year.

"All hell is going to break lose," Barry said while speaking to reporters. "We may have a civil war. The black community is just adamant against this."

Barry made his remarks a few hours after a group of same-sex marriage opponents, led by black ministers, caused uproar in the Wilson Building after the Council voted 12 to 1 to recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. They caused such a ruckus that security guards and police had to clear the hallway. The protesters shouted that council members who voted for the bill will face retribution at the polls.

Although he has been a longtime supporter of gay rights, Barry said he voted against the bill to satisfy his constituents in Southeast Washington.

"What you've got to understand is 98 percent of my constituents are black and we don't have but a handful of openly gay residents," Barry said. "Secondly, at least 70 percent of those who express themselves to me about this are opposed to anything dealing with this issue. The ministers think it is a sin, and I have to be sensitive to that."

But Barry said he disagrees with the ministers' antics today at the Wilson Building, saying the chaos "sets the movement back."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dc/2009/05/barry_warns_of_civil_war_over.html

Caliga

Whew, glad to know he hasn't stopped smoking crack.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2009, 01:51:10 PM
Whew, glad to know he hasn't stopped smoking crack.  :)

It gets even better. He claimed he didn't know what he was voting on, then backtracked and said he walked out of the room during the vote.

Neil

This is bad news, due to the enmity that gay people bear me.  I would prefer that they have no rights.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on May 06, 2009, 01:01:43 PM
Toss in Oregon, the population of Washignton DC, and New York State, which recognizes out of state marriages.

Then eat shit and die.  :hug:

Yeah if one adds in New York State and DC which are entertaining the idea of issuing gay marriages, that gets you to well over a quarter of America.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2009, 02:33:21 PM
This is bad news, due to the enmity that gay people bear me.  I would prefer that they have no rights.

Other than Marty (not an American), what gay people have a problem with you?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Grey Fox

Caliga, why do you keep stealing Martinus thunder/wind?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Faeelin

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2009, 02:53:15 PM
Nice to see.

Apparently the feds may start recognize gay marriages: http://www.advocate.com/print_article_ektid78955.asp

Eh. It's a nice idea, and should happen. But the current White House is reluctant to touch anything dealing with gay rights.

ulmont

Toss in Oregon, the population of Washignton DC, and New York State, which recognizes out of state marriages.

Maine = 1,316,456 (2008 Census estimate)
New Hampshire = 1,315,809
Massachusetts = 6,497,967
California = 36,756,666
Washington = 6,549,224
New Jersey =  8,682,661
Oregon = 3,790,060
Washington DC = 591,833
New York = 19,490,297
Total = 84,990,973

USA = 304,059,724

Up to 28% now.  Only 16,362,268 more people needed to hit 1/3.

Then eat shit and die.  :hug:

No thanks.  And dude, I just took your states and did math.  Adding in DC and NY is very tenuous, I must say; if you can't get married in the state, I don't think it should count.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on May 06, 2009, 02:37:51 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2009, 02:33:21 PM

Other than Marty (not an American), what gay people have a problem with you?
Everyone trying to change the system.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.