News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 08, 2012, 06:49:36 PM
I think God will have to explain the whole Holocaust gig, before I agree to be on speaking terms with him/it.

People have free will.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Scipio

Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2012, 07:02:41 PM
He hates Jews because they won't accept killed Jeebus.  Duh.
No, he doesn't.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Tonitrus

Quote from: Scipio on May 08, 2012, 08:22:21 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 08, 2012, 07:02:41 PM
He hates Jews because they won't accept killed Jeebus.  Duh.
No, he doesn't.

I thought Southern Protestant orthodoxy these days was is that Israel, and the Jewish people there, should be protected at any cost (especially if it involves nuking Muslims).

Jaron

You're confusing Protestant Orthodoxy with the GOP. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 08:20:30 PM
I think God will have to explain the whole Holocaust gig, before I agree to be on speaking terms with him/it.

People have free will.

Even parents intervene when their young children are making egregious errors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2012, 08:45:04 PM

People have free will.

Even parents intervene when their young children are making egregious errors.

Who is to say God didn't?

Within a few years Hitler was dead, Berlin lay in ruins, and the Jews had their own country...  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

People have free will.
conflicts with the assertion that everything is part of god's plan. Conflicts with predestination too (in as far as both aren't the same)

Tamas

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 09, 2012, 03:01:09 AM

People have free will.
conflicts with the assertion that everything is part of god's plan. Conflicts with predestination too (in as far as both aren't the same)

yes. Also the reason why these debates, while fun, are pointless.

The entire reason of existence for religiousness is to throw reason out of the window and install a comfy cushion against the harsh reality of being a highly complex chemical molecule or whatever, with no reason for existence. Not to mention full responsibility for your decisions and actions. That's a scary thought for a lot of folks.

But, this thread does remind me of Languish meets :D
Especially the debate in some tiny restaurant in the Italian Alps, while getting drunk on wine.  :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2012, 04:11:08 AM
The entire reason of existence for religiousness is to throw reason out of the window and install a comfy cushion against the harsh reality of being a highly complex chemical molecule or whatever, with no reason for existence. Not to mention full responsibility for your decisions and actions. That's a scary thought for a lot of folks.

Hrm well I do not use it for that.  Nor do I find anything particular harsh about that reality, indeed if there was a reason for existance I probably would be religious since I would be out searching for what that meaning is.  Since there is none I am free to do whatever I find enjoyable.  And why is having no meaning so "harsh"?  Seems pretty liberating to me.

And in many religions it seems to me they make a far bigger deal about your decisions and actions, and put far more pressure on you, than ordinary life does.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 09, 2012, 03:01:09 AM

True but those assertions conflict with the Bible itself, which is why I never really got them.  If God already knew what the Israelites/Adam and Eve/whomever were going to do he seemed surprisingly upset and surprised.  So his grand plan was to form convenents with people who were always going to piss him off?

Things like the Tsunami, which had no human agency involved, would strike me as more difficult to explain than the fact that people do bad stuff.  If I was one of those people who thinks everything is running according to plan anyway.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on May 09, 2012, 04:11:08 AM
But, this thread does remind me of Languish meets :D
Especially the debate in some tiny restaurant in the Italian Alps, while getting drunk on wine.  :cool:

That night was awesome.   :cool:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2012, 08:42:36 AM

Hope CdM is not there.  He would explode into a rage and toss all of our wine out on the street.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2012, 08:43:52 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2012, 08:42:36 AM

Hope CdM is not there.  He would explode into a rage and toss all of our wine out on the street.

[showing off]

Nope it was me, Tamas, RH and Ank in the Italian Alps getting drunk on wine and discussing God and the meaning of life in the kind of really earnest discussion you can only have when you're half in the bag on really good wine.

[/showing off]

Valmy

I know you were saying you and Tamas actually did that  :(

PDH and I will talk about something cool at the football game this fall  :blurgh:

Like, you know, great Wyoming Running Backs of the 80s.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2012, 08:54:01 AM
I know you were saying you and Tamas actually did that  :(

PDH and I will talk about something cool at the football game this fall  :blurgh:

Like, you know, great Wyoming Running Backs of the 80s.

One of these days I am likely to show up in Texas... :whistle: