News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying

Started by katmai, May 06, 2012, 02:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

I know we have some RPG folks around playing D&D in it's various edition, but was wondering if anyone had tried out the Green Ronin SIFRP system out.

I'm having a hankering for RP and was contemplating this or tracking down the Pendragon system which is in it's 5.1 edition currently.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Have looked at the books but I didn't find them meaty enough to buy. NB it may very well be a great game but I like my RPGs with more stuff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

The Green Ronin version is much better, system wise. That being said, I tried running a SOIAF game for some friends but we quickly went back to other games - there is a typical problem there with rpgs based on books - booklike scenarios do not translate well into game scenarios and good rpg scenarios lose the books' uniqueness and become generic fantasy fare.

Martinus

To follow on that, the D&D version is definitely more unfocused and as such imo not possible to play without a significant work from the game master - it essentially is about creating a character in the world of SOIAF and that's it.

Meanwhile, imo, the biggest selling point of SOIAF series are political and military intrigues - so this game would translate much better into a system like Birthright.

The Green Ronin version is much better in this respect - it has rules for creating noble houses, for battles, sieges and the like (much more like Pendragon) - so it is more focused, but obviously if you are not interested in playing a minor house in Westeros (e.g. you prefer to play brothers of the Night Watch, or something in Qarth) it is more bland.

I think the game could use a focused system like, say, Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader - the world is too diverse to address all play styles in one setting, and instead it should pick up one set-up for players (e.g. Night Watch or Game of Thrones etc.) and stay with it, making other types of characters "unplayable".

Razgovory

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2012, 02:33:05 AM
I know we have some RPG folks around playing D&D in it's various edition, but was wondering if anyone had tried out the Green Ronin SIFRP system out.

I'm having a hankering for RP and was contemplating this or tracking down the Pendragon system which is in it's 5.1 edition currently.

I have maybe the PDFs of the GR eddition I could send you so you could get an idea of what they were like perhaps.  Hypothetically.  Each book is probably a little less then 41 MBs.  If you know a way to for me to theoretically send them to you, send me a PM possibly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2012, 10:48:58 AM
Can I be: the Mountain that rides?

You'll have to fight katmai for the title.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Fireblade

I call the retard with the huge dick that carries the crippled Stark around.

HODOR

Jacob

SIFRP is a perfectly serviceable RPG system. The most interesting part is the House generation system and what follows from that - the mass combat system and domain management.

The rest of the system is pretty straight forward. It has a whole lot of character options, so if you let people make characters as they feel you might end up with with a Hedge Knight, a Red Priest, a skinchanger, an Ironman Raider and the oldest son of the head of a house. In other words, if you want anything coherent, you'll have to set up the framework yourself. There are no tips on or framework for constructing a coherent game.

Pendragon, of course, is much more focused. Unless you have a strong hankering for the Westeros setting, I'd say Pendragon is the superior game.

katmai

Thanks for the answers, well all except Fireblade.

Fireblade

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2012, 06:27:54 PM

Someone has to be the village idiot. :)

katmai

Quote from: Fireblade on May 06, 2012, 06:40:41 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2012, 06:27:54 PM

Someone has to be the village idiot. :)

Trying to steal that from me too, worse than a wetback you are.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2012, 04:37:02 AM
I think the game could use a focused system like, say, Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader - the world is too diverse to address all play styles in one setting, and instead it should pick up one set-up for players (e.g. Night Watch or Game of Thrones etc.) and stay with it, making other types of characters "unplayable".

Only thing is, WH40K is so incredibly data and table reliant, your game mates need to be as into the mechanics as you are, or boredom sets in quickly.

Kat, did you ever look into some of the "bigger" frameworks that lend themselves to lineage and whatnot, such as Reign or Houses of The Blooded?

katmai

I haven't looked into shit, will check them out.