News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Second editions of boardgames

Started by Martim Silva, May 04, 2012, 02:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

I was wondering how people here deal with this phenomena.

I've recently bought some boardgames I had my eyes on for some years (like Arkham Horror and War of the Ring) and noticed that these were Second Editions.

Now, these editions came with revised and corrected components (or even more and bigger components) than their first edition counterparts, updated rules, new and better game boards... which also make the previous editions sorta valueless and nearly impossible to resell.

This made me wonder: is it even worth buying new games today when they come out? Isn't it better to just wait for the second (revised and upgraded) edition?

Are you pleased with your 1st edition purchases, or do you regret them and now wish you had waited for a better buy?

The Brain

The 2nd edition BS is annoying. But I suppose it sells games.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lucidor

Getting a mounted board with nicer graphics, like in Twilight Struggle wasn't annoying. :mad:

Habbaku

Hard to have a second edition without a first.  So, no I'm not upset at the trend really.  It is rare to have a second edition that is enjoyable where the first was not and the release of a second doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the first.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on May 06, 2012, 03:17:20 PM
Hard to have a second edition without a first.  So, no I'm not upset at the trend really.  It is rare to have a second edition that is enjoyable where the first was not and the release of a second doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the first.

Only real benefit are upgrades like mounted mapboards, substantially revised errata, but those are few and far between.

The most important aspect is satisfying one's severe Rainman OCD.

Did I need really Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, when I already had Guderian's Blitzkrieg? No. 
But did it just feel weird knowing it was out there after Case Blue, and not having it?  Yes.  Yes, it did.

Sometimes, you just have to wash your hands twice, if only for the sake of doing it twice.

dps

Some of those second editions have come out 20 years or more later than the originals.  Do you really want to wait that long?  And in some cases, the changes made to the second edition weren't for the better.

Ed Anger

QuoteAnd in some cases, the changes made to the second edition weren't for the better.

I'm looking at you Decision Games.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ancient Demon

Quote from: dps on May 06, 2012, 07:40:06 PM
And in some cases, the changes made to the second edition weren't for the better.

Examples please.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ancient Demon on May 07, 2012, 06:58:22 PM
Quote from: dps on May 06, 2012, 07:40:06 PM
And in some cases, the changes made to the second edition weren't for the better.

Examples please.

Wacht Am Rhein.

Ed Anger

War in the pacific. I don't think 5 kajillion island maps were really needed.

Ironclads. Excalibre fucked up the counter art in the 2nd edition.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 09:23:57 PM
War in the pacific. I don't think 5 kajillion island maps were really needed.

But I needed the game.

Martim Silva

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 06, 2012, 03:22:11 PM
Did I need really Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, when I already had Guderian's Blitzkrieg? No. 
But did it just feel weird knowing it was out there after Case Blue, and not having it?  Yes.  Yes, it did.

Sometimes, you just have to wash your hands twice, if only for the sake of doing it twice.

Hang on... this isn't about getting Guderian's Blitzkrieg II when you have Guderian's Blitzkrieg, it's about getting Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, second edition, versus Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, first edition.

Which one do you have?

Off topic: as my gaming group is large, we prefer to play the OCS by dividing the front into sectors [for the Soviets] or armies [for the Germans]. This means that each side has 3-4 'generals' who have to coordinate things among themselves (one often tries to be the 'overall' commander). It often leads to incredibly interesting sessions, like a 'general' questioning his fellow leader of the armies to the north of him on just WHY isn't he moving fast enough to complete the pincer on his zone of the operation, or a player berating the other because he now has to stop advancing and divert divisons to another sector, just because his mate got careless and let his front units get counterattacked and isolated... and why is THAT guy moving like a snail and hogging all the supply? (Don't get me started on reinforcement allocation, the negotiations are almost a game unto itself).

Not to mention that deciding the best strategy takes more persuasion skills than operational ones (Whoddatunk that your own side could be the biggest hindrance to your own bold plans of attack?).

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 08, 2012, 06:48:28 PM
Hang on... this isn't about getting Guderian's Blitzkrieg II when you have Guderian's Blitzkrieg, it's about getting Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, second edition, versus Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, first edition.

Which one do you have?

GB2, 1st edition.  Thanks for the clarification.

QuoteOff topic: as my gaming group is large, we prefer to play the OCS by dividing the front into sectors [for the Soviets] or armies [for the Germans]. This means that each side has 3-4 'generals' who have to coordinate things among themselves (one often tries to be the 'overall' commander). It often leads to incredibly interesting sessions, like a 'general' questioning his fellow leader of the armies to the north of him on just WHY isn't he moving fast enough to complete the pincer on his zone of the operation, or a player berating the other because he now has to stop advancing and divert divisons to another sector, just because his mate got careless and let his front units get counterattacked and isolated... and why is THAT guy moving like a snail and hogging all the supply? (Don't get me started on reinforcement allocation, the negotiations are almost a game unto itself).

Not to mention that deciding the best strategy takes more persuasion skills than operational ones (Whoddatunk that your own side could be the biggest hindrance to your own bold plans of attack?).

There's a gaming group here in Mobtown that plays absolutely nothing but OCS.  I love the OCS system and they're a great bunch of guys, but they play absolutely nothing but OCS.

Ed Anger

Reminds me of ASL or SFB nerds.  :yuk:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 08, 2012, 09:27:17 PM
Reminds me of ASL or SFB nerds.  :yuk:

ASL fascists are the worst kind of fascists.