News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Personal life and work balance question

Started by Martinus, May 03, 2012, 03:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

To what extent should "legitimate" personal reasons be tolerated in professional life?

It should be tolerated and should not affect the person's career prospects (e.g. pay or promotion)
19 (73.1%)
It should be tolerated/accomodated, but should be taken into account for the purpose of pay or promotion
7 (26.9%)
It should not be tolerated, except for statistically insignificant cases - if someone cannot perform like everyone else on a regular basis, he or she should be let go
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 10:57:06 AM
That does not mean however that if your lifestyle choice interferes directly with your ability to do your work, your employer should bend over backwards to accomodate that

Well generally employers have policies that indicate precisely what accomodations they have to/will make do they not?  Are we presuming people are going over those limits and not doing things according to policy or just using them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2012, 11:05:00 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2012, 11:00:52 AM
Or are you saying there exist parents who, when little baby Jake has to go to the hospital with an ear infection, would say something like "no, back in 2009 I signed a deal that offered me $1,000 more in salary per year to have no accomodation, and a deal is a deal. Baby Jake, suck it up"?  :hmm:

I am saying there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of parents who say I could go to the hospital to check up on little Jake with some dumbass ear infection but that will fuck up my chances of promotion/bonus/corner office/partnership.

My point is that parenting invariably creates emergencies that parents cannot ignore. You say parents can ignore them and that "thousands, if not millions" will do so.

Dunno what you are basing that on. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 10:57:06 AMIf you are an evangelical Christian and are opposed to contraception and abortion,

You're confusing evangelicals with catholics. Nothing wrong with contraception for most evangelicals.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 11:05:43 AM
A partner in my law firm was in the negotiations room while his wife was delivering the baby. :P

It would impress me more if the partner was female and doing negotiations by teleconference while delivering her own.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

In my experience the people that act like Marti or the partner Marti described are the ones who need to show they are martyrs to the cause because they dont really have anything else to offer but their hours.

For the rest of us, the world is a bit different.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2012, 11:13:07 AM
It would impress me more if the partner was female and doing negotiations by teleconference while delivering her own.  :P

Heh I had a director when I worked at Dell who all but did that.  I remember she had her husband pick her up at work when she started labor and was on the phone with my manager on the way to the hospital.  Her husband finally wrestled the phone away from her when they got there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2012, 11:11:19 AM
My point is that parenting invariably creates emergencies that parents cannot ignore. You say parents can ignore them and that "thousands, if not millions" will do so.

Dunno what you are basing that on.

A wild guess at the numbers employed in Big Law and high pressure Wall Street.

I don't know what you're basing your claim that parenting invariably creates emergencies that parents cannot ignore on.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2012, 11:18:45 AM

I don't know what you're basing your claim that parenting invariably creates emergencies that parents cannot ignore on.

They are called kids.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2012, 11:07:39 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 10:57:06 AM
That does not mean however that if your lifestyle choice interferes directly with your ability to do your work, your employer should bend over backwards to accomodate that

Well generally employers have policies that indicate precisely what accomodations they have to/will make do they not?  Are we presuming people are going over those limits and not doing things according to policy or just using them?

This goes to my point. Why will lawfirms do stuff like offer to top-up salaries during maternity leave, or offer other forms of accomodation (as mine does)?

The answer is that they wish to attract the best candidates, and they know that the best insist on accomodation.

Those employers who offer money in lieu of accomodation, as Yi suggests, are bound to find it a losing strategy. Why? For the simple reason that people's lifestyles change.

Say firm A offers a higher salary and firm B offers accomodation. A single guy joins firm A for the money. After a few years, he gets married and has a kid - hardly an unknown or unusual event. He now leaves firm A and joins firm B - who, in this scenario, reaps all the benefit (and firm A loses all the benefit) of that employee's years of work-related experience.

Of course the other side to that is that firm A is going to be more attractive to single people just out of university. But overall, the downsides of such a policy are likely not going to be worth it in a purely self-interested analysis.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2012, 11:05:43 AM

A partner in my law firm was in the negotiations room while his wife was delivering the baby. :P

That's just plain fucked up.

I've been very clear with my employers - they better put me in less critical assignmend the couple of weeks leading up to the due date, because when I get "that call" I am leaving no matter what.

That being said short of the birth of a child or a very limited set of tragedies, nobody is saying my employer needs to "bend over backwards".  Instead it's about "reasonable accomodations".  For me it comes down to court vs office days.  If I am in court I can not leave.  Simply impossible, and my wife hopefully can deal with the situation.  If I'm in the office though being able to work from home, or work later on another day, are reasonable accomodations to make.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Being a parent myself. And the experience of every single other parent I've ever known or met, without exception.

Just ask here. Any parents reading this *not* experienced any emergencies requiring their attention, while raising their kids?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2012, 11:25:20 AM

Being a parent myself. And the experience of every single other parent I've ever known or met, without exception.

Just ask here. Any parents reading this *not* experienced any emergencies requiring their attention, while raising their kids?

Nope.  I suppose if you have a full-time stay-at-home partner it is minimized, but I'm pretty sure you can attest to the fact that things still come up that demand your attention.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2012, 07:59:54 AMNo, actually you don't.  You're a pissy little bitch, with pissy little bitch points.

Good point.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2012, 10:50:18 AMBut is that the standard at Marty's company?  It seems like it isn't but he wishes it was or something (or maybe they wish it was but Polish law requires them to have certain policies in this area).

He wishes it was the standard, because it would give him the edge over someone in the company who has children and whom Marty is apparently unable to get ahead of. Instead he bitches about it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on May 04, 2012, 11:25:20 AM

OK, you've tricked me into arguing an absolute, just like a tricky Jew lawyer would.  Though I would like to point out in passing that there's no law of physics that says such and such family emergency requires immediate attention or that a parent cannot stay at work.  Those are choices.

I'm not arguing that there is no such thing as a family emergency that should be accomodated.  Marty might, but he hasn't so far in this thread.  What I'm arguing, and what I thought Marty was too, is that a working father or mother's absence from the work place can and does impose burdens on their coworkers, and that this burden is disproportionately borne by coworkers without children of their own, since they are always making deposits but never making  withdrawals.

Then there's also the issue of the nature of the business, which is of course related to the issue about burden sharing.  Should a firm expect a parent to take off to tend to Jake's ear infection if it means a missed deadline or a lost sale?  I think it's perfectly reasonable for an employer to say we expect parents to work through that at crunch time.