News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Terrible Blow to the Art World

Started by Savonarola, April 07, 2012, 07:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2012, 08:39:04 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2012, 07:55:15 AMPersonally I really dislike his paintings for some reason. :hmm:
Because they're hideous? :mellow:
Hideous?  They're rather bland, but I think you might be overstating things a bit.

Surely you've heard of the great British art of understatement?  You wouldn't want to get transported to the colonies, would you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

How anyone, confronted with those exceedingly popular paintings, can support the Universal Franchise is beyond me  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2012, 01:53:32 PM
Hideous?  They're rather bland, but I think you might be overstating things a bit.
They look like something Dame Edna would wear.  Bland, they ain't.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on April 07, 2012, 07:20:47 AM
You can kill the man, but you can't kill the dream:

The dream of overly large well lit houses in safe neighborhoods and trips to Disney World apparently.  :unsure:

Maybe the dream of jailbait in short skirts.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2012, 01:53:32 PM
Surely you've heard of the great British art of understatement?

:yes:  I think "ghastly" would have been the more appropriate British characterization.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2012, 02:05:23 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 07, 2012, 07:20:47 AM
You can kill the man, but you can't kill the dream:

The dream of overly large well lit houses in safe neighborhoods and trips to Disney World apparently.  :unsure:

Maybe the dream of jailbait in short skirts.

:mmm:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 07, 2012, 02:00:23 PM
How anyone, confronted with those exceedingly popular paintings, can support the Universal Franchise is beyond me  :hmm:
Repeal the 19th amendment!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

I love Bob Ross.  He got ms through dome tough times.

DontSayBanana

The sad thing is that when the girlfriend linked me this story Friday night, my first thought was "I could have SWORN he was older than that."  Guess the subject material made me think "old fogey." :blush:

Also, a wild SAV appeared! :o
Experience bij!

Tonitrus

Just in case all you tragic art lovers were curious... 

QuoteThomas Kinkade died of accidental alcohol, Valium overdose
UPDATED 7:58 PM PDT May 07, 2012

LOS GATOS, Calif. - An autopsy has found that artist Thomas Kinkade's death was caused by an accidental overdose of alcohol and prescription tranquilizers.

The Santa Clara County medical examiner concluded that the self-described "Painter of Light" stopped breathing at his Los Gatos home on April 6 from a combination of alcohol and Valium.

Before his death, the 54-year-old Kinkade produced idyllic scenes of country gardens and pastoral landscapes that he sold in a nationwide chain of galleries.

In recent years, however, he had run into personal difficulties, including a 2010 bankruptcy filing by one of his companies.

He also separated from his wife and was arrested for DUI in Carmel.

His brother has said Kinkade battled alcoholism and relapsed before his death.

A judge last month issued a restraining order against a former girlfriend that prevents her from talking about the late painter.

Copyright 2012 by Th