Personal life and work balance question

Started by Martinus, May 03, 2012, 03:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

To what extent should "legitimate" personal reasons be tolerated in professional life?

It should be tolerated and should not affect the person's career prospects (e.g. pay or promotion)
19 (73.1%)
It should be tolerated/accomodated, but should be taken into account for the purpose of pay or promotion
7 (26.9%)
It should not be tolerated, except for statistically insignificant cases - if someone cannot perform like everyone else on a regular basis, he or she should be let go
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 09:00:58 AM
What differentiates this situation from an employee asking for time off because *they* are sick?

Are you really that dumb or deliberately obtuse? The answer is "frequency".

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on May 07, 2012, 09:23:10 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 09:00:58 AM
What differentiates this situation from an employee asking for time off because *they* are sick?

Are you really that dumb or deliberately obtuse? The answer is "frequency".

And "frequency" impacts on verification how ... ?  :hmm:

Not to mention, while very young children may be more frequently sick on average than middle-aged persons, as I mentioned, things change. Older employees are going to be more frequently ill on average than non-infant children. So perhaps the old should be fired.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 09:30:43 AM
Older employees are going to be more frequently ill on average than non-infant children. So perhaps the old should be fired.  :lol:

Or perhaps just the hypochondriacs...

Iormlund

I don't think a business should suffer because of personal issues of employees. And this is coming from someone who's missed months of work due to chronic disease. I feel that it's society as a whole that should help out in these cases, just as we pool resources in so many other areas.

That being said, happy employees are better employees. It's stupid to burn out people by being inflexible and setting deadlines that will be missed unless there's chronic overtime. I've seen plenty of this.

The way this currently works for me is that my schedule is more flexible than that of my workmates. On top of helping with mild fatigue issues, this leaves me time to focus on myself -- especially being able to spend a couple hours at the gym -- as well as regularly visiting doctors, having tests and procedures done and so on.
On the other hand, I'm willing to spend long hours in the field when necessary, or man the fort when others are enjoying their holidays.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2012, 09:00:58 AMYou can see that taking such a "hard line" on that would hardly be in an employer's best interest - as the overlap between "good employees" and "employees who never get sick" may not be perfect, right?

It only overlaps in in the minds of those whose only strength is always showing up.

CountDeMoney

OK, now here's a case in point:  just chatting with a friend of mine, who is an associate dean.  She was all worried about today being packed with meetings and things to do, and she texts me this AM that she's staying home.

Why?  Because her 14 year old daughter is throwing up.  Throwing up.  Nothing more.  No fever, no bloody stool, no mucous discharge.  Just barfing.
Christ, when I was 14, the only way one of my parents stayed home with me was if I had a fever over 101.  And vomiting?  There better be blood in that vomit, young man--I have to be at work at 8am.
Helicopter Moms.  :rolleyes:

This is why I don't like to hire people with children.

"I can't come in to work today, my child is sick."
"Funny, I don't recall your child working for me."

Caliga

I suspect that "my child is sick" is often a lie and just an excuse to play hookey.  I used to work with a woman at my previous company whose daughter was 'sick' at least once every two weeks, if not more.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I used to be 'sick' that much as a child. I was often faking it.  :menace:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I tried to fake it too, but my mom was too smart to fall for it.  Mom Radar or something told her when I was bullshitting. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2012, 06:27:07 PM
I tried to fake it too, but my mom was too smart to fall for it.  Mom Radar or something told her when I was bullshitting. :blush:

Me too.  Especially with Mom being a registered nurse and all.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 09:19:13 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2012, 06:27:07 PM

Me too.  Especially with Mom being a registered nurse and all.
Ouch.  :console:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2012, 06:21:15 PM
I suspect that "my child is sick" is often a lie and just an excuse to play hookey. 

Well, in my friend's case, she's simply an overprotective hovermother.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on May 07, 2012, 06:21:15 PM
I suspect that "my child is sick" is often a lie and just an excuse to play hookey.  I used to work with a woman at my previous company whose daughter was 'sick' at least once every two weeks, if not more.

You know there are days when I can't wait to get to work, because it means I don't have to deal with small children.  :blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.