Personal life and work balance question

Started by Martinus, May 03, 2012, 03:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

To what extent should "legitimate" personal reasons be tolerated in professional life?

It should be tolerated and should not affect the person's career prospects (e.g. pay or promotion)
19 (73.1%)
It should be tolerated/accomodated, but should be taken into account for the purpose of pay or promotion
7 (26.9%)
It should not be tolerated, except for statistically insignificant cases - if someone cannot perform like everyone else on a regular basis, he or she should be let go
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2012, 11:06:42 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 03, 2012, 11:04:15 AM
TBR SANCTITY.

In my thread? :unsure:

Is that the rule?  Oh, this changes everything. :D

Anyway, my roommate says I'm being spoiled by the flexibility of the hours on this project.  He goes in at eight thirty because "that's when people are supposed to go into work."  Besides seeming a very archaic attitude more applicable to an agricultural society, he leaves at five when I leave at midnight, so there's some evidence that he's lazy one.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2012, 11:07:00 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2012, 11:06:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 11:04:46 AM
Quote from: Brazen on May 03, 2012, 10:33:59 AM
I thought Marti wanted a child at some point?  :hmm: He'd better get on the case soon before his ovaries dry up :P

I already have someone in my life who is young, immature, moody, keeps secrets and leeches up my money. It's my boyfriend. :P

Are you still going to get upset when people say you pay for sex?

Are you? :hmm:

Only you (and Marti) would think there is a direct comparison.  Very Marti like of you.

And yes you are a real ass for breaking tbr confidentiality. You need to fix that.  Unless you want to end up like Marti in even more ways.

Solmyr

Marti, I hate to break it to you, but your boyfriend isn't actually gay. He just pretends to be gay so he can leech your money. It's standard Eastern European fare.

Martinus

I thought Marti wanted a child at some point?  :hmm: He'd better get on the case soon before his ovaries dry up :P

I already have someone in my life who is young, immature, moody, keeps secrets and leeches up my money. It's my boyfriend. :P

When you quote his posts, they actually show in my screen. :(

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on May 03, 2012, 11:18:43 AM
Marti, I hate to break it to you, but your boyfriend isn't actually gay. He just pretends to be gay so he can leech your money. It's standard Eastern European fare.
Marti's rich, but not nearly that rich.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2012, 11:13:19 AM
And yes you are a real ass for breaking tbr confidentiality. You need to fix that.  Unless you want to end up like Marti in even more ways.

:huh:

I didn't realize Ide joking that I'd call him entitled was violating TBR sanctity...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: DGuller on May 03, 2012, 11:22:51 AM
I'd pretend to be gay if the price was right. And then I'd sell the video.

garbon

Only you (and Marti) would think there is a direct comparison.  Very Marti like of you.

On this bit - just feminism. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 11:22:19 AM

When you quote his posts, they actually show in my screen. :(

Get used to it. People quote Raz all the time.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2012, 05:58:04 AMWell, in my previous job you had to hit the deadline, no matter what (at least in our region). If the deadline was a public holiday: tough noogies. If it meant you having to stay late or come in on weekends: so be it. If you missed any deadlines: prepare to be bitchslapped. And I'm talking about the "normal" employees there.
Of course. But then a good manager would assign adequate resources to the task at hand. If that's not the case, it's bad management and frankly shouldn't be the problem of the employee as he has no way to assign adequate resources.
Of course, companies being flexible means they can expect employees being flexible too. So if the deadline really, really has to be on a public holiday, it's fair to expect the employees to show up and do their work, no matter their private situation. Year-end closing in accounting is one such case. I am in IT and obviously you have to do system upgrades on weekends and sometimes in the week between Christmas and New Years' Eve and no one can seriously complain about that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on May 03, 2012, 11:29:08 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 03, 2012, 11:22:51 AM
I'd pretend to be gay if the price was right. And then I'd sell the video.

:hmm:

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 09:59:02 AM
Four pages in, and nobody realizes it's just another Marti "I hate breeders, please validate my hatred" thread.  Suckers.

Oh, we knew. Best part is, IT IS NEVER GOING TO CHANGE. We rule!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 08:39:48 AMThe last part is kinda key, isn't it? Hence I was curious about your perspective - have you ever been required to stay late/work over weekend because the extra work went to you as your colleagues could not take it due to personal life commitments, such as children?

Yes, plenty of times.

I've covered my colleagues' backs before. Conversely, they've covered my back as well.

I generally prefer working in a place where my colleagues and I act as if we're on the same team, rather than as competitors.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 09:59:02 AM
Four pages in, and nobody realizes it's just another Marti "I hate breeders, please validate my hatred" thread.  Suckers.

Oh we know. It's obvious.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on May 03, 2012, 11:27:51 AM

:huh:

I didn't realize Ide joking that I'd call him entitled was violating TBR sanctity...
yeah, its prolly fine
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)