Personal life and work balance question

Started by Martinus, May 03, 2012, 03:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

To what extent should "legitimate" personal reasons be tolerated in professional life?

It should be tolerated and should not affect the person's career prospects (e.g. pay or promotion)
19 (73.1%)
It should be tolerated/accomodated, but should be taken into account for the purpose of pay or promotion
7 (26.9%)
It should not be tolerated, except for statistically insignificant cases - if someone cannot perform like everyone else on a regular basis, he or she should be let go
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2012, 09:40:03 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 03, 2012, 09:31:30 AM
Cameron should take a leaf out of his book, pro rata to Britain's diminished importance I would imagine 3 or 4 hours a week would be the appropriate workload.

It is a mystery how exactly it works.  I reading a story speculating about how Roosevelt and the Pentagon could wage a war with an military about 12 times the size of our current one on opposite ends of the earth with a tiny percentage of their current staffs.
Doesn't seem to be a fair comparison.  The Roosevelt era Pentagon lost hundreds of thousands of troops in combat deaths.  These days we enjoy unrivaled technological and organizations superiority, to the point that our enemies simply do not have the option of confronting us on the battlefield.

CountDeMoney

Four pages in, and nobody realizes it's just another Marti "I hate breeders, please validate my hatred" thread.  Suckers.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 09:59:02 AM
Four pages in, and nobody realizes it's just another Marti "I hate breeders, please validate my hatred" thread.  Suckers.

Sure we did, but it's entertaining
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Marty should adopt a child so he, too, can reap the benefits of parenthood.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2012, 10:04:45 AM
Marty is too vain for that, he'd probably buy one from the breeders.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2012, 10:04:45 AM

That sounds like a plot for a TV sitcom.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

I thought Marti wanted a child at some point?  :hmm: He'd better get on the case soon before his ovaries dry up :P

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 07:36:47 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on May 03, 2012, 04:34:54 AM
Martinus, I used to think you were an OK guy, and that your opinions and online persona was a deliberate exageration, where your real life was more nuanced and pragmatic.

But these past months you've become so extreme, so socialible inept and your attitudes so close to sociopathic as they can possibly be without having you comitted.

I hope you die a very old man, lonely, in a cold cold place, exploited by your former relationsships in every possible way.

V

He likes to generate these little polls (git it) not because he's interested in our answers, but because he already knows it himself, and would like very much to have it validated.

Yeah, and how does that usually work out? :lol:

Mart's got a persecution complex that would make a Christian proud.

Anyway, in this case, I agree with him.  People with personal lives should be punished. <_<  But I should still be allowed to regularly come in around noon, as is my custom.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 03, 2012, 10:41:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 07:36:47 AM
Quote from: Valdemar on May 03, 2012, 04:34:54 AM
Martinus, I used to think you were an OK guy, and that your opinions and online persona was a deliberate exageration, where your real life was more nuanced and pragmatic.

But these past months you've become so extreme, so socialible inept and your attitudes so close to sociopathic as they can possibly be without having you comitted.

I hope you die a very old man, lonely, in a cold cold place, exploited by your former relationsships in every possible way.

V

He likes to generate these little polls (git it) not because he's interested in our answers, but because he already knows it himself, and would like very much to have it validated.

Yeah, and how does that usually work out? :lol:

Mart's got a persecution complex that would make a Christian proud.

Anyway, in this case, I agree with him.  People with personal lives should be punished. <_<  But I should still be allowed to regularly come in around noon, as is my custom.

Is this the entitlement we were discussing? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

TBR SANCTITY.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on May 03, 2012, 10:33:59 AM
I thought Marti wanted a child at some point?  :hmm: He'd better get on the case soon before his ovaries dry up :P

I already have someone in my life who is young, immature, moody, keeps secrets and leeches up my money. It's my boyfriend. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 03, 2012, 09:59:02 AM

Naw, Gups nailed it early on:

QuoteHe's obviously talking about himself. As always.

As someone already said, the rest is just for sport.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 11:04:46 AM

I already have someone in my life who is young, immature, moody, keeps secrets and leeches up my money. It's my boyfriend. :P

Are you still going to get upset when people say you pay for sex?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2012, 11:06:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2012, 11:04:46 AM

Are you still going to get upset when people say you pay for sex?

Are you? :hmm: