News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Telemarketers: villains or victims?

Started by Martinus, May 02, 2012, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

What is your attitude to telemarketers, especially the ones that do not take no for an answer.

Should they be pitied, or fought with extreme prejudice? To what extent they can be seen as simply being victims of the system, and to what extent can they find a different, less "evil" profession?

What do you think?

Josephus

To me they're only slightly above lawyers in most despised professions.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Richard Hakluyt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2012, 10:47:50 AM
What is your attitude to telemarketers, especially the ones that do not take no for an answer.

I just ask them, you really hate your job, don't you?

QuoteShould they be pitied, or fought with extreme prejudice? To what extent they can be seen as simply being victims of the system, and to what extent can they find a different, less "evil" profession?

Pitied.  It's not their fault they needed the job, and it was the only one they could score.  Like retail or fast food, sometimes you need to grab the job you can get.

QuoteWhat do you think?

I think you're a pretentious fucking faggity-ass snob, so you wouldn't know anything about the above.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I miss telemarketers.  They would call and I would recount them wondrous stories and amusing anecdotes.  About things like penguins and giant fans and rubber boots.  Unfortunately my dad signed up on the "No Call" list when that law was passed.  So now i tell my wonerous stories and amusing anecdotes on languish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2012, 11:29:16 AM
I abuse Indians.

When they say their name's Adam or Steve, I give them Vijay or Jonaranabatsiddharthapunjay.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2012, 11:49:17 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2012, 11:29:16 AM
I abuse Indians.

When they say their name's Adam or Steve, I give them Vijay or Jonaranabatsiddharthapunjay.

I try to guess which shithole city they are in. They don't like that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2012, 11:55:47 AM
I try to guess which shithole city they are in. They don't like that.

No matter how thick their slurpee accent is, they insist they're in Minneapolis.   :lol:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Syt

QuoteAnd it's all your fault
I screen my phone calls
No matter who calls
I gotta screen my phone calls
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

I rarely answer the phone anymore, unless the caller ID shows someone I know. And if I answer, I usually either just hang up or tell them to take me off their list, while acknowledging that they probably can't or won't remove me. I don't really blame the caller as they're just doing the job. But I have little patience with being called and solicited, and often let them know that frustration.

Eddie Teach

Unfortunately, the only spam calls I get are from recordings, so there's no opportunity to abuse somebody.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I'm deeply sympathetic.  No little kid ever says I want to grow up and be a telemarketer.  It's the worst job in the world.