And we're back!

Main Menu

Public functionaries and "conscience clause"

Started by Martinus, April 23, 2012, 05:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2012, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2012, 11:04:09 AM
Actually, I'm most surprised by some of you being fine with the state official refusing to officiate legal marriage. This to me is the most blatant case of discrimination, and the most heinous one.
The state forcing a civil servant to go against his or her conscience is not a good idea either. Just let another civil servant officiate who doesn't have qualms. What's gained by forcing a civil servant to act against their conscience? That won't make for a nice marriage either.

And if it's the 1950s and the civil servant doesn't want to grant services based on race? Let's say he doesn't believe in miscegenation.  :rolleyes:

How about we fire civil servants who can't do their jobs without forcing their biases into their work.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2012, 05:42:18 AM
Do you think any of the following (in each case, assume that the relevant action, such as abortion, gay marriage, etc. is legal) is acceptable (i.e. a person doing so does not face any negative consequences, including dismissal), if done for religious or ideological reasons:

- a judge of peace (or local equivalent) refusing to officiate a (civil) marriage for a gay couple,
- a state-funded adoption agency refusing to service mixed racial couples,
- a gynecologist refusing to perform abortion,
- a pharmacist refusing to sell contraceptives,
- a grocery store clerk refusing to handle pork,
- a surgeon refusing to conduct blood transfussions,
- a bus driver refusing to drive a bus with an ad of a Republican party painted on it,
- a policeman refusing to take a crime report from a black person,
- an attorney refusing to defend a Jewish person.

Please justify your response especially if you think some of these are acceptable and others are not.

All of the above are clearly grounds for dismissal if they violate the policies of their employer or applicable regulations or law.

P.S.: only like four or five of those are public functionaries, and one of them is only a public functionary in certain situations which you did not define.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

Quote from: Fate on April 23, 2012, 02:48:27 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2012, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2012, 11:04:09 AM
Actually, I'm most surprised by some of you being fine with the state official refusing to officiate legal marriage. This to me is the most blatant case of discrimination, and the most heinous one.
The state forcing a civil servant to go against his or her conscience is not a good idea either. Just let another civil servant officiate who doesn't have qualms. What's gained by forcing a civil servant to act against their conscience? That won't make for a nice marriage either.

And if it's the 1950s and the civil servant doesn't want to grant services based on race? Let's say he doesn't believe in miscegenation.  :rolleyes:

How about we fire civil servants who can't do their jobs without forcing their biases into their work.
I thought a bit more about it and I guess you are right. Officiating on civil marriage is not something that would fall under conscientious issues and it's not necessary to accomodate for whatever worldview a civil servant has. Civil servants need to obey their superiors and fulfill all legal tasks given to them.

One exception that I can think of is police officers that refuse to be the sniper who shoots a kipnapper. Deliberately killing a human is where I would draw the line between what the state may demand of its civil servants and what it may not demand.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2012, 03:31:04 PM
One exception that I can think of is police officers that refuse to be the sniper who shoots a kipnapper.

OMG think of the kips!

:P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on April 23, 2012, 03:21:27 PM
Do you think any of the following (in each case, assume that the relevant action, such as abortion, gay marriage, etc. is legal) is acceptable (i.e. a person doing so does not face any negative consequences, including dismissal), if done for religious or ideological reasons:

- a judge of peace (or local equivalent) refusing to officiate a (civil) marriage for a gay couple,
- a bus driver refusing to drive a bus with an ad of a Republican party painted on it,

Please justify your response especially if you think some of these are acceptable and others are not.

All of the above are clearly grounds for dismissal if they violate the policies of their employer or applicable regulations or law.

Yep, and whether any of us find them "acceptable" or not has no bearing on the whether or not they violate such laws or policies.

CountDeMoney

One exception that I can think of is police officers that refuse to be the sniper who shoots a kipnapper. Deliberately killing a human is where I would draw the line between what the state may demand of its civil servants and what it may not demand.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Scipio

Yes.  This type of marriage is illegal in 42 jurisdictions in the United States.  Thus, in any one of those jurisdictions, it would be justifiable.  Additionally, in many states, Justices of Peace do not have the power to marry someone.

Not in America.

There are literally thousands of legitimate, non-ideological medical reasons to not perform a given abortion.

Yes.  If people want to drive away their business, let them.

Again, other people can do the work.

Generally, surgeons don't do transfusions; they're too busy doing the fucking surgery.  Hematologists or phlebotomists under a hematologist or surgeon's direction would do one.

Well, if he wants to lose his job, I understand that 15 million americans are unemployed.  At least one of them has a CDL.

Cops refuse to file crime reports all the time.  I think refusing to file a report is a crime, regardless of the circumstances.  It's certainly a violation of their oath to uphold the Constitution.

Yes.  I can refuse to take any case I want as a private attorney.  Now, Jews generally have money, and I generally need money.  So I would defend a Jew, unless they were charged with a felony within the city limits of Hattiesburg, because that would be a clear conflict of interest.  Also, I would have to avoid other conflicts.  So there are literally untold numbers of reasons why and how an attorney could refuse to defend a particular Jew.

I generally think this set of questions is a great example of why all other Slavs revile Polacks.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on April 23, 2012, 08:37:04 PM
Cops refuse to file crime reports all the time.  I think refusing to file a report is a crime, regardless of the circumstances.  It's certainly a violation of their oath to uphold the Constitution.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

:lol:

There are complaints, and then there are complaints that require reports.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 23, 2012, 08:16:08 PM

Not sure why somebody who's against killing would have sniper training to begin with.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on April 23, 2012, 03:21:27 PM

Basically this.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney