And we're back!

Main Menu

Forbes on Kobe Beef (and Champagne)

Started by Jacob, April 19, 2012, 07:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2012, 02:26:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 20, 2012, 01:28:29 PM
But it's a goodwill of tradition and standards. Regional foods are held to a higher standard then any Tom, Dick and Harry vineyard. While logically most people know that not all champagne is champagne, people  don't work that way. Look at Garbon he knows he's drinking sparkling wine but is compelled to call it champagne so any bad experience he has with "champagne" he will associate with all champagne, both real and not. This diminishes the real stuff.

:huh:

I don't equate Andre with champagne from Champagne even though I'll call both champagne.  Nor do I assume that because I bought some sparkling wine from Champagne that it'll be amazing.
iused you because you were the most vehement "champagne by any other name" person here. You may not, and i'll take you at your word, but i feel many consumers, perhaps the majority, would.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2012, 11:17:31 AM
See, I just don't get what the "harm" is where everyone knows the stuff was not made in France.

Great piece from 60 Minutes on the European truffle market in France and Italy, and how the Chinese counterfeit truffle industry is fucking it all up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7394364n

Yes, that's right:  the little yellow bastards are even counterfeiting truffles.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2012, 07:38:05 PM
I wish I could try Kobe beef at some point. But...I just can't bring myself to spend such silly amounts on food.
You can buy Kobe beef in Canada.  There are even local producers of Kobe beef here in Quebec.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2012, 02:33:11 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2012, 07:38:05 PM
I wish I could try Kobe beef at some point. But...I just can't bring myself to spend such silly amounts on food.
You can buy Kobe beef in Canada.  There are even local producers of Kobe beef here in Quebec.

Go back to the original article - it isn't "real" Kobe beef.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2012, 02:33:11 PM
There are even local producers of Kobe beef here in Quebec.
you didn't read the article, did you? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on April 20, 2012, 02:35:21 PM
beaten by one second lol

But still basically typo-less.  You're en fuego Hillary. :punk:

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 02:28:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2012, 02:17:15 PM
To the extent that "Champagne" is a product of a particular quality, that is protected by enforcing quality standards in production.

What enforcement powers do French vineyards have over American bottlers?

They would not - no more than they could (for example) enforce IP rights over the name "Champagne".

In all cases, the enforcement would have to be local. The US (or state, dunno who has jurisdiction) gov't would have to enforce either:

(1) A system whereby US bottlers were required to use only "sparkling wine" (which some here are advocating); or

(2) A system where US bottlers wishing to sell the same product had to (a) include country of origin on their labels and (b) meet certain bottling quality standards consistent with the description of the product "champagne" (which I am advocating).

French bottlers are out of the picture either way, unless you want a system whereby they are going around the world suing people for violating their IP - and even that would require that local laws be changed to allow for this.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Anyway, i think we're just differing on how to seperate the products out, Malthus. My view is why go the extra step of labeling something "Champagne made in France" or "Champagne made in California" (where the origin of a wine can be placed out of the way and probably not shown on wine lists in a restaurant) when you can just have "Champagne" as the designation of the sparkling wine region in france and "Sparkling wine made in XXX" for all others.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 02:37:05 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 20, 2012, 02:35:21 PM
beaten by one second lol

But still basically typo-less.  You're en fuego Hillary. :punk:
you've jynxed me now :( :D

HVC

Also, if i produce a medication like zanex using the same process and same ingredients can i label it Zanex Made in Hilario's basement. Is that really any different?

*edit, ok ya i pushed that a bit too far into Marti territory. I'm just trying to say that in my mind champagne is a brand name. a regional shared one, but a brand name. I'm probably wrong, but that's what shades my perception.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 20, 2012, 02:39:09 PM
Anyway, i think we're just differing on how to seperate the products out, Malthus. My view is why go the extra step of labeling something "Champagne made in France" or "Champagne made in California" (where the origin of a wine can be placed out of the way and probably not shown on wine lists in a restaurant) when you can just have "Champagne" as the designation of the sparkling wine region in france and "Sparkling wine made in XXX" for all others.

Because your method gives consumers less information, is more likely to lead to confusion, and requires everyone in the world to do it the same way to work.

Say I buy a bottle of wine in country X. That bottle just says "champagne" on it. Unless the whole world has adopted the strict "Champagne means only sparkling wine made in the Champagne region of France" rule, I have no way of knowing if this stuff is actually "Champagne" that meets that description, or the local product. If it says "Champagne (made in Country X)" there is no ambiguity, and no need to require everyone else to conform.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

but the made in country x thing is usually small and hidden at the back of the label. it can be just as misleading. Champagne is not just a regon, it's also a method and stardard. How do you enforce that stanard. Right now i assume it's like port where it's internally enforced amongst all vineyards in that region. I can start a vineyard, take cheap wine and just carbonate it like pop i can sell it as champagne, but it isn't, not really. Making champange champagne only protects the customer more, in my view.

also, i feel weird and snooby arguing about wine lol. moreso given the fact that i really do dislike wine :D

and i think the whole world has. well, first world. Save the US (and canada?)

derspiess

True Fact:  Bourbon does not legally have to originate from Kentucky.  But we all know the best stuff does.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall