Israel's Other Temple: Research Reveals Ancient Struggle over Holy Land

Started by jimmy olsen, April 18, 2012, 05:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

chipwich

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 09:53:48 PM
My understanding was once the upper class people got back from exile in Babylon the peasants and various yokels had a version of their original religion still going back home.  So there was a conflict between the Babylon version and the Judaism the locals had evolved on their own.  Is that the source of the Samaritans I wonder?  :hmm:

Traditionally the Samaritans were descendents of the Northern tribes survivors of the Assyrian exile. They both returned to Palestine at the same time as the Judeans since Cyrus liberated  the former Assyrian territories at the same time as Iraq.

Nthing that this isn't a surprise. Did none of you go to Sunday school?

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2012, 05:51:51 PM
Do the math, Pi is about 3 in the bible ?
Where, in the bible, does it say pi is "about 3' (which, of course, it is)?

A statement that pi is "about 3" is quite accurate, if not very precise.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2012, 05:37:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 20, 2012, 05:51:51 PM
Do the math, Pi is about 3 in the bible ?
Where, in the bible, does it say pi is "about 3' (which, of course, it is)?

A statement that pi is "about 3" is quite accurate, if not very precise.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Kings+7%3A23&version=KJV

1 Kings 7:23

King James Version (KJV)

23 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2012, 06:16:40 PM

King James Version (KJV)

23 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Don't see any mention of pi.  Unless you are going to argue that anything "round" must be perfectly circular.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on April 21, 2012, 06:20:57 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2012, 06:16:40 PM

King James Version (KJV)

Don't see any mention of pi.  Unless you are going to argue that anything "round" must be perfectly circular.

That's not just "anything "round"", it is "round all about."  I read that as as pretty damn close to perfectly circular.

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on April 21, 2012, 06:39:48 PM
That's not just "anything "round"", it is "round all about."  I read that as as pretty damn close to perfectly circular.
:lmfao:  Okay.  Whatever.  3 is pretty damn close to 3.14159. 

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on April 20, 2012, 05:27:33 PM
At some point, the Israelites stopped sacrificing their first born sons to Baal.  That's a huge step.

You've lost me there.  Baal worship was common to the entire Levantine region.  And there isn't much evidence concerning widespread child sacrifice in the Judean Hill region in the first millenium BCE.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson