Israel's Other Temple: Research Reveals Ancient Struggle over Holy Land

Started by jimmy olsen, April 18, 2012, 05:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2012, 09:55:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:46:38 PM
I for one had no idea there were still Samaritans in this day and age. Well I'll be.

I thought it was common knowledge.

Well then you're more knowledgeable than me Raz.  I had no idea.   :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 10:47:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2012, 09:55:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:46:38 PM
I for one had no idea there were still Samaritans in this day and age. Well I'll be.

I thought it was common knowledge.

Well then you're more knowledgeable than me Raz.  I had no idea.   :)

I always assume that everything I know everyone else already knows.  Which explains why people keep hacking my Email. :mad:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

It is sort of like my response when hearing, during the invasion of Iraq, about the Assyrians.  Holy shit there are still Assyrians?  Then I heard one of them is Andre Agassi.  Somewhere Sargon was smiling when he won Wimbledon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

QuoteThe Jews had significant competition in antiquity when it came to worshipping Yahweh. Archeologists have discovered a second great temple not far from Jerusalem that predates its better known cousin. It belonged to the Samaritans, and may have been edited out of the Bible once the rivalry had been decided.

The rivalry is no secret; it is desribed in the Bible.  And while Mt. Gerizim may not be mentioned by that name in the traditional Torah, Genesys does state that Abraham built the first altar to God at Shechem (which is where Mt. Gezirim is). 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 20, 2012, 03:08:42 PM
QuoteThe Jews had significant competition in antiquity when it came to worshipping Yahweh. Archeologists have discovered a second great temple not far from Jerusalem that predates its better known cousin. It belonged to the Samaritans, and may have been edited out of the Bible once the rivalry had been decided.

The rivalry is no secret; it is desribed in the Bible. 
Yea, I'm puzzled as to why this is a surprise.

Razgovory

The rivalry is no secret; it is desribed in the Bible.  And while Mt. Gerizim may not be mentioned by that name in the traditional Torah, Genesys does state that Abraham built the first altar to God at Shechem (which is where Mt. Gezirim is).

Hell the Bible seems to describe rivalry between Polytheistic Jews and Monotheistic Jews.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2012, 09:55:41 PM
The Bible isn't exactly a credible source.
:huh: It's 95% accurate, if its estimate of the value of pi is any indication.

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2012, 03:32:16 PM

Hell the Bible seems to describe rivalry between Polytheistic Jews and Monotheistic Jews.
Question: would it be more accurate to say that the conflicts in The Bible are between Highland and Lowland Canaanites. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on April 20, 2012, 03:40:29 PM
Question: would it be more accurate to say that the conflicts in The Bible are between Highland and Lowland Canaanites.

That's part of it; the other part is that it was written after most of the key events it described occurred and thus represents a reinterpreation of those events and the north-south divide in light of a new and anachronistic ideological framework.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 20, 2012, 04:04:30 PM

That's part of it; the other part is that it was written after most of the key events it described occurred and thus represents a reinterpreation of those events and the north-south divide in light of a new and anachronistic ideological framework.
Wright makes a reference to the disappearance of pig bones from highland settlements in the area at some point as a possible point of divergence. 

It would be interesting to look at the reasons for such a dramatic divergence between Canaanites and Israelites.  The languages are extremely similar, to the extent that I have read that modern Hebrew is based in part on Punic.  Somehow, though, most of the religious practices of the Canaanites-admittedly some of the most horrifying in history-become satanic. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on April 20, 2012, 04:52:46 PM
It would be interesting to look at the reasons for such a dramatic divergence between Canaanites and Israelites. 

the most likely answer is that there wasn't any such divergence.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 20, 2012, 05:05:11 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 20, 2012, 04:52:46 PM
It would be interesting to look at the reasons for such a dramatic divergence between Canaanites and Israelites. 

the most likely answer is that there wasn't any such divergence.
At some point, the Israelites stopped sacrificing their first born sons to Baal.  That's a huge step.

Admiral Yi