Sweden's quest to achieve a gender neutral society

Started by jimmy olsen, April 18, 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 20, 2012, 01:24:12 PM
Another damned Curling hijack.  :glare:

Be honest. Is that worse than talking about "a gender neutral society"?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

What makes Swedes go neutral?  Lust for Gold?  Power?  Or were they just born with a heart full of neutrality?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2012, 01:41:11 PM
What makes Swedes go neutral?  Lust for Gold?  Power?  Or were they just born with a heart full of neutrality?

Shush you - we're talking about curling.

So what is everyone's opinion on the free guard zone rule?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 20, 2012, 01:41:11 PM

Realization they could never win a war.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2012, 01:22:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 12:47:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2012, 12:41:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 10:29:13 AMGood point.  When I google "curling" I went through the first 100 links.  99 of them are for the sport of curling.  Only item 34 isa  non-sport hit (some movie called Curling, which also has nothing to do with hair).

I guess I'm open to the possibility that someone using google in a different country would get different results, but I doubt it.

While I'm on your side in the curling vs curling debate, I believe that google does tailor its hits to the information it has on its searcher so the results you get for curling might be different from those, say, a hair dresser might get.

Which is why I mentioned that possibility, and was hoping someone else would try the same search.

By the way speiss, when I google curlers this is my first result:

www.curlerscorner.com/ - guess what kind of curlers they are talking about. :p

The results after that are about 60/40 for hair/sport.

Well, I logged out of my gmail account so that I don't get my tailored search results, and out of the whole first page of results I get one related to the sport, and it's third from the bottom.  Second page has nothing related to the sport, neither does the third or fourth.  Almost everything is related to hair or eyelash curlers.

And here's my first result: http://www.target.com/s/curlers

Now do the same search for "curling".

If you're looking for info, you'd be searching for the name of the sport, not the name of the players.  You'd search golf, not golfers.

Eddie Teach

Not if you have a fetish for knickerbockers and flat caps.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2012, 01:43:46 PM
Realization they could never win a war.

Denmark is a pretty formidable force.  See how they intimidated Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 01:47:25 PM
Now do the same search for "curling".

I'll take your word for it.  I've already searched for "curlers" here at work.  I don't want to set off any more alarms here than I have to :P

QuoteIf you're looking for info, you'd be searching for the name of the sport, not the name of the players.  You'd search golf, not golfers.

Very true.  But searching for golfers only returns items related to people who play that sport.  I don't see any feminine beauty hits there (particularly if you're searching for LPGA :D ).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2012, 02:02:12 PM
Very true.  But searching for golfers only returns items related to people who play that sport.  I don't see any feminine beauty hits there (particularly if you're searching for LPGA :D ).

I beg to differ. :contract:

derspiess

She got purty, so I stand corrected.

I went  to an LPGA event back in 1996 and stil can't get the horrific images out of my mind.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Just for kicks I did am google image search for "women curlers".

What a bizarre mix of hott women curlers, fugly women curlers, and of course, women in curlers. :lol:

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2012, 03:34:21 PM
Just for kicks I did am google image search for "women curlers".

What a bizarre mix of hott women curlers, fugly women curlers, and of course, women in curlers. :lol:

The German team had a cute redhead:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Turns out her name is Stelle Heiß. Heiß being German for "hot".

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.