Sweden's quest to achieve a gender neutral society

Started by jimmy olsen, April 18, 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 18, 2012, 12:30:47 PM
I think the sport of Curling's greatest failure is the inability to have come up with a name other than "Curling".

But it's perfectly descriptive name - the rock does indeed "curl" down the ice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Rock Pounding - now there is a sport we can all identify with....

Tamas

I hate to bust Swedish bubbles, but, as one example, the Hungarian language has always been gender neutral, and that doesn't really result in a more tolerant, or enlightened society when it came to gender roles and such.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2012, 07:53:53 AM
I hate to bust Swedish bubbles, but, as one example, the Hungarian language has always been gender neutral, and that doesn't really result in a more tolerant, or enlightened society when it came to gender roles and such.

Further socialization via school policies does not have a great track record either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 12:37:23 PM
I think the sport of Curling's greatest failure is the inability to have come up with a name other than "Curling".

It's also what women do with their hair.  LEARN MARKETING.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 11:37:59 AM

The earliest use of the word curling to describe the sport was in 1620.  LEARN HISTORY.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2012, 11:41:35 AM

The earliest use of the word curling to describe the sport was in 1620.  LEARN HISTORY.

It would seem the word "curl" has always been associated with hair.  http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=curl&allowed_in_frame=0
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 11:47:20 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2012, 11:41:35 AM

It would seem the word "curl" has always been associated with hair.  http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=curl&allowed_in_frame=0

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=curling&allowed_in_frame=0

The words originated at the same time - early 17th century.

Razgovory

Yes, the modern word.  But the words it derived from also refer to hair.  That indicates that the word referred to hair before it became a verb and then a noun to  describe a sport.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 11:58:25 AM
Yes, the modern word.  But the words it derived from also refer to hair.  That indicates that the word referred to hair before it became a verb and then a noun to  describe a sport.

Of the possible sources listed in your link, only one referred to hair.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2012, 07:53:53 AM

Did you contact the Swedish embassy? I imagine they'd want to know as soon as possible.