Sweden's quest to achieve a gender neutral society

Started by jimmy olsen, April 18, 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

The word does seem to come from hair.

The first examples of curl as a verb for twisting ringlets into hair come from the 14th and 15th century.  In the early 17th century to curl starts to mean to cause a curl or twist or undulation.  It's that verb that's then used in curling.  Interestingly - separately - it seems the Flems developed a similar-ish game and used the same sort of words 'krullebol' (curl-bowl) to describe their stone and sport based on its movement on the ice.

That in no way demeans what is a magnificent sport.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

It doesn't even matter to me which came first.  In modern usage, curling is much more associated with hair than with some ice sport.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

I thought the Brain was clear example of Swedish gender neutrality. :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on April 19, 2012, 12:37:35 PM
I thought the Brain was clear example of Swedish gender neutrality. :huh:

Yep, as long as it has four legs he is happy.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 19, 2012, 12:35:15 PM
It doesn't even matter to me which came first.  In modern usage, curling is much more associated with hair than with some ice sport.

Not in Canada.  :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2012, 12:16:17 PM
Interestingly - separately - it seems the Flems developed a similar-ish game and used the same sort of words 'krullebol' (curl-bowl) to describe their stone and sport based on its movement on the ice.

weird. Searched for it and the closest I got was pétanque, which seems to have been just one of the games that falls under the term "krullebollen". Funky, I've only heard the word being used in relation to hair, and I'm guessing that'll go for must of the dutchspeakers.

Valmy

I love how a short statement about combining men and women's pool leagues led to an indept sports discussion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 19, 2012, 12:49:05 PM
weird. Searched for it and the closest I got was pétanque, which seems to have been just one of the games that falls under the term "krullebollen". Funky, I've only heard the word being used in relation to hair, and I'm guessing that'll go for must of the dutchspeakers.
From the OED:
QuoteIt appears in its earlier form to have been akin to Quoits, but has now more analogy with Bowls, with modifications consequent upon the situation. A game similar to it in its early form appears in Flanders a1600; Kilian has kluyten kalluyten, 'ludere massis siue globis glaciatis; certare discis in æquore glaciato', to play a match with quoits on a smooth surface of ice. The name appears to describe the motion given to the stone. In Flemish the name krullebol (curl-bowl) is given, apparently from its motion, to the wooden bowl with which a somewhat similar game bolspel is played in an alley.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 09:28:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:26:02 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 18, 2012, 06:22:11 AM
Like calling curling a sport.

:ultra:

You try dragging a 40lb hunk of granite down a sheet of ice using nothing but a broom for two hours before telling me curling isn't a sport.

I bet hauling boulders up hills with nothing but a broom is pretty difficult as well but that isn't a sport either.

You're right, it isn't.  Nobody in the world plays a sport involving hauling bolders up hills.

But quite a few people do play the silly ass game of curling.

Yeah, yeah.  Olympic level skill is required I'm sure.
PDH!

Barrister

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 20, 2012, 09:01:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 09:28:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:26:02 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 18, 2012, 06:22:11 AM
Like calling curling a sport.

:ultra:

You try dragging a 40lb hunk of granite down a sheet of ice using nothing but a broom for two hours before telling me curling isn't a sport.

I bet hauling boulders up hills with nothing but a broom is pretty difficult as well but that isn't a sport either.

You're right, it isn't.  Nobody in the world plays a sport involving hauling bolders up hills.

But quite a few people do play the silly ass game of curling.

Yeah, yeah.  Olympic level skill is required I'm sure.

You have no idea.

I consider myself a decent curler, play once or twice a week, do some practicing.

Our team played the Yukon/NWT championship team a few times.  They would blow us out of the water.

Then of course I've watched them play in the Canadian men's championship.  The really good teams would blow them out of the water.  It's scary how good a team like Kevin Martin's is, and requires a huge amount of practice - and definitely on par with any other winter olympian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

As long as shooting's an Olympic sport I think all others are free from criticism.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 20, 2012, 09:07:32 AM
As long as shooting's an Olympic sport I think all others are free from criticism.

You assume people are willing to grant the IOC the power to determine what is and isn't a sport. We don't. Shooting's not a sport, neither is bowling. Jury's out on curling.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2012, 09:26:31 AM
You assume people are willing to grant the IOC the power to determine what is and isn't a sport. We don't. Shooting's not a sport, neither is bowling. Jury's out on curling.

How about that carriage driving business?  That's some gripping shit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 20, 2012, 09:26:31 AM
A friend of mine refuses to accept that basketball or tennis are sports so I know what you mean :lol:

I was just picking up on Wag's slight of the 'Olympic' skill required for curling.  I'm sure everyone agrees that the IOC do define what is an Olympic sport.
Let's bomb Russia!