Sweden's quest to achieve a gender neutral society

Started by jimmy olsen, April 18, 2012, 03:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Well, I noticed a significant increase in my ability to make 3-point shots in basketball when I got strong enough to *shoot* the ball that far instead of heaving it at the basket.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

We still have gender studies and crap like that at Swedish "universities". Places where low-grade DNA gathers and comes up with garbage like "hen".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2012, 10:05:08 AM
We still have gender studies and crap like that at Swedish "universities". Places where low-grade DNA gathers and comes up with garbage like "hen".

Don't worry.  Sweden is going to destroy gender and it will no longer be necessary to study it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:26:02 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 18, 2012, 06:22:11 AM
Like calling curling a sport.
:ultra:

You try dragging a 40lb hunk of granite down a sheet of ice using nothing but a broom for two hours before telling me curling isn't a sport.
Dragging?  You're doing it wrong.

At any rate, curling is more of a sport than baseball.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 10:08:26 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2012, 10:05:08 AM

Don't worry.  Sweden is going to destroy gender and it will no longer be necessary to study it.
A good point.  Most Scandi men seem fairly emasculated.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zanza

Pretending that something isn't there doesn't make it go away.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 07:59:23 AM
Yeah the goals of equality are good but it sorta sounds kinda authoritarian...but granted these are schools not exactly bastions of freedom.

Well, pre-university schools rarely are. It always annoys me when people attack programms like this from a conservative perspective, by arguing that this makes the school authoritarian - schools are and have always been authoritarian - it's just a matter of what behaviour we are enforcing.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2012, 11:11:38 AM
Well, pre-university schools rarely are.

Yes that is what I said.

"That sounds squicky but then this is a school so that is probably not that unusual" was what I was going for.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2012, 11:03:07 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:26:02 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 18, 2012, 06:22:11 AM
Like calling curling a sport.
:ultra:

You try dragging a 40lb hunk of granite down a sheet of ice using nothing but a broom for two hours before telling me curling isn't a sport.
Dragging?  You're doing it wrong.

At any rate, curling is more of a sport than baseball.

No, dragging a rock is a curling term.  You take a rock that is really doesn't have enough weight, but you put down a serious scrub in order to get it further.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

If a sport can be played at a competitive level by people who are overweight or otherwise unathletic then yes, curling is a sport.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2012, 11:46:04 AM
If a sport can be played at a competitive level by people who are overweight or otherwise unathletic then yes, curling is a sport.

While you used to see plenty of overweight, out of shape curlers, you rarely do anymore.  The top curlers have all learned the advantages of being fit in curling.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 12:03:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2012, 11:46:04 AM

While you used to see plenty of overweight, out of shape curlers, you rarely do anymore.  The top curlers have all learned the advantages of being fit in curling.
Yeah, thing have really changed over the last 15 years or so.  These days, most leads and seconds look like old-school bodybuilders.

derspiess

I think the sport of Curling's greatest failure is the inability to have come up with a name other than "Curling".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2012, 03:18:51 AM
I think I speak for us all when I call for Sweden to be bathed in atomic fire.  :sleep:

You basically never speak for me. Ever.

Even if I agree with you on something.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."