News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

More Breivik Trial Idiocy.

Started by Viking, April 17, 2012, 03:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Anyway, the only penalty fit for Breivik should be some form of damnatio memoriae. I don't care what they do to him personally afterwards.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on April 17, 2012, 10:28:43 AMIf you, however, remove agency from that statement then there is a case to be made. It is quite possible that Breiviks paranoid delusion of plots will somehow be conflated with an agency free statement of a tendency within society like

"The idea that there is a political and philosophical class within a western society which is unintentionally sabotaging it's heritage unknowingly turning over the society to un-integrated non-western populations."
I think that's a load of bollocks too.  The case has been made, almost endlessly, in the past decade and I still think it's wrong.  It seems to me more a sign of cultural insecurity than anything else.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 10:44:25 AMIt seems to me more a sign of cultural insecurity than anything else.

Or a sign of being a racist bastard.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 17, 2012, 10:51:13 AMOr a sign of being a racist bastard.
:lol:

I'm too polite.  That too.  As I say whenever I hear anyone start using gay rights as a cudgel to beat up on Muslims with I get suspicious.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 10:21:00 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 17, 2012, 10:17:39 AM
I think he means Breivik's hypothesis of quisling multiculturalism.

The idea that there is a political and philosophical class within a western society which is willfully sabotaging it's heritage knowingly turning over the society to barbaric non-western populations.
It's a load of bollocks.
But powerful.  Ask all the European Jews.... wait.  There are none to ask.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2012, 10:29:47 AM
Can you stop making the same grammar error every time you repeat this idiotic statement? It is grating.

It should be "ITS heritage", not "IT'S heritage".  :rolleyes:
It's still less annoying than anything you post, so fuck you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 11:01:46 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 17, 2012, 10:51:13 AMOr a sign of being a racist bastard.
:lol:

I'm too polite.  That too.  As I say whenever I hear anyone start using gay rights as a cudgel to beat up on Muslims with I get suspicious.

At some point it's necessary to put one's foot down and call a spade a spade. If not, this kind of discourse starts getting legitimate after so much creeping around, and you end up with xenophobic parties controlling the fate of your country.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 10:44:25 AM
I think that's a load of bollocks too.  The case has been made, almost endlessly, in the past decade and I still think it's wrong.  It seems to me more a sign of cultural insecurity than anything else.

Seems to me the argument that it's a load of bollocks rests on one of two assumptions: either cultural capital is a meaningless term, or immigrants automatically aquire the local cultural mores through breathing the air.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2012, 06:38:42 PMSeems to me the argument that it's a load of bollocks rests on one of two assumptions: either cultural capital is a meaningless term, or immigrants automatically aquire the local cultural mores through breathing the air.
Explain that more.  I'm slow.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 06:40:25 PM

Can you narrow it down a little for me?  I'm loathe to write an Oexmelin sized post and have you reply "oh yeah, I knew all that."

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2012, 06:44:03 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 06:40:25 PM

Can you narrow it down a little for me?  I'm loathe to write an Oexmelin sized post and have you reply "oh yeah, I knew all that."

Alternatively, you could admit to the probability that its neither ie bollocks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2012, 06:44:03 PMCan you narrow it down a little for me?  I'm loathe to write an Oexmelin sized post and have you reply "oh yeah, I knew all that."
I think this "the idea that there is a political and philosophical class within a western society which is unintentionally sabotaging it's heritage unknowingly turning over the society to un-integrated non-western populations" is bullshit.  I also think there's maybe two people in Europe who hold this view out of a genuine concern and belief in what's good about western society.  The rest are mostly xenophobes who use 'muscular liberalism' as their current justification.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2012, 06:48:11 PM
I think this "the idea that there is a political and philosophical class within a western society which is unintentionally sabotaging it's heritage unknowingly turning over the society to un-integrated non-western populations" is bullshit.  I also think there's maybe two people in Europe who hold this view out of a genuine concern and belief in what's good about western society.  The rest are mostly xenophobes who use 'muscular liberalism' as their current justification.

I was trying to address the point that the statement is bullshit, not that all people (except those 2) who espouse it are bigots looking for a good line to cover their bigoted asses.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on April 17, 2012, 06:47:50 PM
Alternatively, you could admit to the probability that its neither ie bollocks.

Alternatively, I could stand on my head while juggling pumpkins.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2012, 06:56:39 PM
I was trying to address the point that the statement is bullshit, not that all people (except those 2) who espouse it are bigots looking for a good line to cover their bigoted asses.
Okay.  I disagree with more or less all parts of the statement.  But I don't understand your two points.  I'm sorry but could you spell them out a bit.
Let's bomb Russia!