And we're back!

Main Menu

More Breivik Trial Idiocy.

Started by Viking, April 17, 2012, 03:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 09:05:19 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2012, 09:01:21 AM
Valmy, even if that was true, the issue still carried itself over time. I mean, JFK had to face oposition in the 60s for being a Catholic.

Yes but largely in the South where there were, at the time, few Catholic immigrants, or Texas where Catholicism was associated with Mexico (and the explanation for all its backwardsness) rather than immigration.

I don't think that's right.  Anti-catholic feelings were certainly prevalent in Canada at the time as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2012, 09:09:02 AM
Just as in Europe, where plenty of vitriol comes from people who live in places where they've never seen an inmigrant in their lives.

Of course now many Catholics happy count themselves as American as can be.  It makes me wonder if in a century Muslim Euros are going to be parading around with signs saying 'Germany for Germans!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2012, 09:09:30 AM
Al Smith might disagree.

You mean the guy who won the nomination for President of the very party most of those KKK guys were voting for? :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 09:14:21 AM
Al Smith might disagree.

You mean the guy who won the nomination for President of the very party most of those KKK guys were voting for? :P

The very party the KKK and Catholics were voting for.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Is there evidence of a double standard?  Are non-Muslim immigrant groups, engaging in roughly the same pattern of culturally unacceptable behaviors, being given a pass?
Nobody has any issue with Jews despite the Orthodox ones being rather weird and withdrawn.
A lot of the same issues around poor Asian communities also afflict poor black communities. Things are often worse there in fact with there being more violent crime. Yet...despite the knife crime panic blaming this on nasty foreign culture, though it happens, isn't seen as often as anti-muslim rants. The far right never touches it.

Quote from: The Larch on April 18, 2012, 09:09:02 AM
Valmy, even if that was true, the issue still carried itself over time. I mean, JFK had to face oposition in the 60s for being a Catholic.

Yes but largely in the South where there were, at the time, few Catholic immigrants, or Texas where Catholicism was associated with Mexico (and the explanation for all its backwardsness) rather than immigration.

Just as in Europe, where plenty of vitriol comes from people who live in places where they've never seen an inmigrant in their lives.

True.
There were a lot of main BNP target seats in my area...
Despite it being pretty much the whitest part of England.
I guess it comes from not living alongside minorities day to day and seeing they're actually largely fine but instead only seeing on TV the rare occasions when things go wrong and there's a racial incident or the right wing gutter press ranting about the unwashed foreign hordes taking our jobs.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2012, 09:22:24 AM
The very party the KKK and Catholics were voting for.

The Democrats of that era were one of the strangest political forces of all time.  That was one big tent.

The Minsky Moment

Can anyone explain how the court procedure works?  Why was Breivik permitted to deliver a speech for over a hour on matters that appear to have no bearing on his guilt or innocence?  And why has the prosecution been permitted (or even bothered) to cross-examine him on matters like the consistency of political beliefs, which also seems to have no bearing on culpability?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 18, 2012, 09:33:02 AM
Can anyone explain how the court procedure works?  Why was Breivik permitted to deliver a speech for over a hour on matters that appear to have no bearing on his guilt or innocence?  And why has the prosecution been permitted (or even bothered) to cross-examine him on matters like the consistency of political beliefs, which also seems to have no bearing on culpability?

I of course can offer no comment on Norwegian court procedure, but having prosecuted my share of mentally unbalanced individuals I find a judge will often go out of their way to indulge an accused person even when it would not be proper procedure.  The very brief article I read in my crappy little commuter newspaper said that Beivik "threatened" that if he wasn't allowed to read his statement/manifesto he wouldn't participate in the trial at all.

alfred russel

Al Smith might disagree.

Al Smith was the first democrat to lose a bunch of southern states since reconstruction. And basically the south went back to being a democratic stronghold until the 60s and civil rights. Al Smith learned what was up, if he didn't know to begin with.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 18, 2012, 09:33:02 AM

Norwegian law allows the accused to explain himself to the court. The accused is allowed to explain himself within reason. The professional judges made it clear to him beforehand what limitations he was under. Specifially how he was going to be permitted to refer to the victims and a limit to which topics he could refer and for how long he could speak. Since his defense seems to be self defense through mass murder of little children the only real issue for the court to decide is if what the little children were doing justifies lethal self defense.

He was cross examined today.

Norwegian law is pretty clear on self defense and there is a strong requirement to escape, even to the detriment of the lives of others. Just recently a man was sentenced to the harshed sentence possible when he shot a wolf that was killing his dog; not the same I know, but the closes analogy.

Quote from: schedule of events of april 17 in the courtThe terrorist suspect will now begin his testimony when the court set at 09 It is set in five and a half days of his explanation in the Oslo District Court, writes Aftenposten.no.

This will not be televised, a decision of Norwegian Editors' Association and the Norwegian Press Association appealed to the Supreme Court, where the appeal was finally rejected.

But the press is free to refer the explanation within the framework Norway-Media newspapers are reasonable and relevant.

Many details can be so cruel that it is unnecessary and offensive to reproduce them. We are going to pay attention to victims and their families who have a particularly difficult time during the trial.
- Ugly, but necessary

- His explanation is scheduled to last until Monday 23 april said Attorney General Svein Holden during his innledingsforedrag.

Behring Breivik has signaled in advance that he would like to explain why he believes his actions July 22 was cruel, but necessary.
The right to free explanation

Behring Breivik has the right to a free explanation. During the free explanation, he is not questioned by the prosecutor or defense, but speaks freely.

But the judges can still club him down and ask questions. Later in the week he will be questioned by the prosecutor and his defenders.
Did not admit guilt

First day in court went into the prosecutor's opening speeches and reading of the indictment.

-I recognize the actions, but not guilt, and I invoke the principle of necessity, said Behring Breivik when he was asked to answer how he relates to the indictment.

Behring Breivik remained calm when the charge was read in court, but attorney Svein Holden in his opening argument played by the defendant's own terrorist propaganda video produced 33-year-old began to cry.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 09:37:43 AM
I of course can offer no comment on Norwegian court procedure, but having prosecuted my share of mentally unbalanced individuals I find a judge will often go out of their way to indulge an accused person even when it would not be proper procedure.  The very brief article I read in my crappy little commuter newspaper said that Beivik "threatened" that if he wasn't allowed to read his statement/manifesto he wouldn't participate in the trial at all.

My first answer is so what?  He can choose not to mount a defense and then take the consequences.
My second answer is even so, why two days of cross on the Templars, his failed business ventures, his sympathies for the Serbs, etc.?  Seems to me the prosecution could have just rested after Breivik's statement, which was self-condemnatory.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 18, 2012, 09:52:34 AM

My first answer is so what?  He can choose not to mount a defense and then take the consequences.
My second answer is even so, why two days of cross on the Templars, his failed business ventures, his sympathies for the Serbs, etc.?  Seems to me the prosecution could have just rested after Breivik's statement, which was self-condemnatory.

Every law guy in Norway wants a piece of the ABB pie. And the bigger the better. Opportunities like this are rare.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Breiviks choice was to make the statement in a civilized manner or not make it at all, he eventually choose to make it in a civilzed manner.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on April 18, 2012, 09:49:53 AM
Norwegian law allows the accused to explain himself to the court. The accused is allowed to explain himself within reason. The professional judges made it clear to him beforehand what limitations he was under. Specifially how he was going to be permitted to refer to the victims and a limit to which topics he could refer and for how long he could speak. Since his defense seems to be self defense through mass murder of little children the only real issue for the court to decide is if what the little children were doing justifies lethal self defense.

Many common law courts have procedures to limit testimony to relevant matters.  E.g. one could have the court issue a legal ruling before the trial itself starts that defines the contours of the self-defense justification - in this case that could involve a ruling that self-defense is limited to imminent physical harm or threat, thus precluding testimony about political theory.  I assume Norway is a civil law system, but I would have assumed that civil law jurisdictions would be much more strict about this sort of thing.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

In a trial like this the judge wants to avoid any remote possibility of an appeal.

As for the second... fair point.  It can sometimes be hard to resist the temptation to gild the lilly when you have more than ample means to do so.