News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Harper: "Legalize It"

Started by Fireblade, April 16, 2012, 01:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 12:35:59 PM
Considering Canada is our #1 trading partner I would think there would be a powerful lobby against that sort of action.

Why - the US has already imposed drastically stricter border controls in the lst ten years despite zero evidence of any security threat coming from this country.  Imagine what you guys would do if you actually had a reason?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 12:38:43 PM
Why - the US has already imposed drastically stricter border controls in the lst ten years despite zero evidence of any security threat coming from this country.  Imagine what you guys would do if you actually had a reason?

We needed to do that because Canadians attacked the US Capital once already.  They are a nation of terrorists.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 12:35:59 PM
Considering Canada is our #1 trading partner I would think there would be a powerful lobby against that sort of action.

Good question; what would Valmy et al do if they had a reason?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Have these impacted trade at all?  There is not really a strong 'freedom to cross borders' lobby in DC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2012, 12:43:42 PM

This is the second time you have made comments about this.  Am I not supposed to use 'we' when referring to the government of the country I live in?  I was not aware of this protocol but if it is a problem I can refer to 'the US government' if it makes you happy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 12:45:39 PM

This is the second time you have made comments about this.  Am I not supposed to use 'we' when referring to the government of the country I live in?  I was not aware of this protocol but if it is a problem I can refer to 'the US government' if it makes you happy.

I similarily didn't see what the problem was in using "you guys" to refer to the US, but if it is something grumbles has a bee in his bonnet over then I'll take it under advisement.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 12:44:14 PM

Have these impacted trade at all?  There is not really a strong 'freedom to cross boarders' lobby in DC.

Supposedly, though I don't know if there have been hard numbers.  Longer wait times at the border have caused havoc for just in time manufacturers relying on cross-border components, for example.

Josephus

They would build a wall between the two countries.

Question is...would they use brick or wood? :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Another wood in the wall? Nah.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

If you are a member of the group being discussed, then you use the first person plural.  If not, you don't. 

If you mean a person or group that you do not belong to, then first person is not appropriate.  This isn't a "protocol," it is just a rule of grammar.  And, yes, it would make me happy to have you and others use proper grammar.  All that improper "us" and "you" makes trolling too easy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Valmy:  saying "our #1 trading partner" is, of course, fine.  You are part of the group that trades with Canada.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 12:49:14 PM
I similarily didn't see what the problem was in using "you guys" to refer to the US, but if it is something grumbles has a bee in his bonnet over then I'll take it under advisement.
"You guys" when responding to a poster who is not one of the guys (who would make the rules) is poor usage of the language.  It's not a difficult rule, once you understand the concept of first, second, and third person.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2012, 01:20:31 PM
"You guys" when responding to a poster who is not one of the guys (who would make the rules) is poor usage of the language.  It's not a difficult rule, once you understand the concept of first, second, and third person.

But as a voter, surely Valmy is one of those involved in making the rules.

Neil

It's best to ignore grumbler.  He's a faggot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 18, 2012, 01:21:37 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2012, 01:20:31 PM
But as a voter, surely Valmy is one of those involved in making the rules.
Valmy is not a US citizen.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.