News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Harper: "Legalize It"

Started by Fireblade, April 16, 2012, 01:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2012, 01:38:16 PM
Yeah. I don't think the Hells Angels are big Conservative supporters (they could be, though),
They are Federalists, that we know for sure, but I've no idea wich party they pick, though.  Italian mafia on the other hand is clearly pro-Liberal.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

So where does Europe get its cannabis from?  Is it all produced locally at this point or is there still some kind of long-distance hash trade?

Appalachia has gotten heavily into weed cultivation.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Iormlund

AFAIK Morroco used to be a prime exporter. I doubt that has changed much.

BuddhaRhubarb

I think it's a pretty big leap to take Harper's comment as some sort of legalize it code phrase. I'd be pretty surprised if The current regime went that direction, You could also take it to mean that they will get even tougher on drug crime, were you the paranoid type.. Gotta fill those new prison/work farms somehow. :p

nothing story.
:p

grumbler

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 17, 2012, 12:02:40 PM
I think it's a pretty big leap to take Harper's comment as some sort of legalize it code phrase.
It's Fireblade.  I don't think he created the thread title in an effort to be accurate.  :P

Quotenothing story.
Agreed.  There's no way the criminals are going to let the politicians screw them over by being smart about the drug issue.  And no way Harper is going to throw away the votes of the drug lord scum and the right wing at the same time by doing something smart.  Dumb wins elections and gains the approbation of the crooks.  Dumb is win-win for Harper. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Josephus on April 16, 2012, 02:32:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2012, 02:14:07 PMFrom new reports the US and Canada were opposed to such a move.  Instead, as a compromise, everyone agreed that the issue of the drug trade be further studied (ie very much the do nothing option)

In a nutshell.

Someone called?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2012, 07:42:45 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 16, 2012, 02:32:27 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2012, 02:14:07 PMFrom new reports the US and Canada were opposed to such a move.  Instead, as a compromise, everyone agreed that the issue of the drug trade be further studied (ie very much the do nothing option)

In a nutshell.

Someone called?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKMK3XGO27k
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2012, 07:40:43 AM
Dumb is win-win for Harper.

And law enforcement keeps its budgets! :yeah:

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2012, 02:20:27 PM

"The current approach isn't working, but there's no agreement on what the proper approach should be."

...and therefore we have no option to carry on with the current approach which we at least know doesn't work.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2012, 10:40:54 AM

"The current approach isn't working, but there's no agreement on what the proper approach should be."

...and therefore we have no option to carry on with the current approach which we at least know doesn't work.

Yeah, the drug law change is inevitable.  The question is which party is going to make it a formal plank in an election campaign.  My prediction is that whoever does that will, in Canada at least, win the election for a whole variety of reasons not the least of which is it makes the most sense.

If I was advising the NDP, I would tell them to move quickly on the issue.  They are not going to lose votes from there core by taking this move and they stand a very good chance of attracting right of centre voters who recognize the present drug policies only enrich the criminals - with all the violence that comes with that.

If I was advising the Conservatives, I would tell them to move quickly on the issue because, being a fiscal conservative party, it makes the most sense from a fiscal point of view.  The current laws act as a subsidy to the criminal element.  The government spends billions of dollars on criminal law enforcement which on a practical level does nothing but raise the risk and therefore profit margins of the drug trade.  I would advise the Conservatives that they would take a lot of votes from the left if they shifted from treating drug as a criminal to a medical issue.  And the bonus is that the taxes realized from the money already spent on drugs would actually fund the medical system for this and everything else - something which, as a fiscal conservative, I would support.

If I was advising the Liberals I would shoot myself.

Gups

Quote from: Iormlund on April 17, 2012, 06:55:36 AM
AFAIK Morroco used to be a prime exporter. I doubt that has changed much.

It's changed a lot. Nobody outside Iberia smokes rocky (or hash generally) much any more. In northern Europe its all hydroponic skunk shit, grown in houses with the electricity rigged.

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on April 18, 2012, 10:40:54 AM

Since making any substantial changes runs the very real risk of making the drug problem worse, not better - yes.  Until we have some idea what might work staying the course is probably the best option.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

My impression is that one of the serious obstacles to Canada legalizing and controlling various currently illegal drugs (esp. cannabis) is the US. At least in the past, the argument was that the US would respond to legalization with a number of regulatory actions that would be very inconvenient and potentially harmful to the Canadian economy; the main thing that was mentioned were more stringent border controls to the degree that it would hurt trade.

How much does (and should) a potential very negative response from the US figure into deliberations about legalizing cannabis (and possibly other drugs) in Canada? To what degree is such a negative response likely?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 18, 2012, 12:30:54 PM
My impression is that one of the serious obstacles to Canada legalizing and controlling various currently illegal drugs (esp. cannabis) is the US. At least in the past, the argument was that the US would respond to legalization with a number of regulatory actions that would be very inconvenient and potentially harmful to the Canadian economy; the main thing that was mentioned were more stringent border controls to the degree that it would hurt trade.

How much does (and should) a potential very negative response from the US figure into deliberations about legalizing cannabis (and possibly other drugs) in Canada? To what degree is such a negative response likely?

I suspect that's a very real concern, in particular if we took more agressive steps to liberalize drug laws.  Unless such a reaction was co-ordinated with the US I think they would undoubtedly put in much stricter border controls.

Now that's not an excuse to do nothing however, but is definitely a limiting feature.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Considering Canada is our #1 trading partner I would think there would be a powerful lobby against that sort of action.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."