Nomination Thread For Poll Of America's Greatest Foe.

Started by mongers, April 15, 2012, 09:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2012, 07:39:03 PM
Why is Osama a legit pick, but Lee isn't?

Who says bin Laden is a legitimate pick?  He doesn't meet the criteria.  He is a political leader, not a military one.  Kaiser Wilhelm doesn't qualify, either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Thanks to Timmay and Viking E. Lee, this thread has run its course, like so much diarrhea down Mongers' leg.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2012, 08:05:36 PM
Who says bin Laden is a legitimate pick?  He doesn't meet the criteria.  He is a political leader, not a military one.  Kaiser Wilhelm doesn't qualify, either.

Well, somebody's been coordinating the insurgencies in Afghanistan & Iraq and could be considered a candidate. Though I think the comment may have been more a dismissal of Collins than a vote for Osama.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 17, 2012, 12:56:41 AM
Well, somebody's been coordinating the insurgencies in Afghanistan & Iraq and could be considered a candidate. Though I think the comment may have been more a dismissal of Collins than a vote for Osama.

The Collins issue was decided by the people who made the rules, so is settled and moot anyway.

The guy who'd been coordinating the insurgency in Afghanistan was Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar.  No one was coordinating the insurgency in iraq; there were a number of independent insurgecies.  No one in either insurgency would be rated "America's Greatest Foe," though I suppose you could nominate one or more of them, if you want, this being just the nomination thread.

Giap is going to win any voting on this running away, so I am not sure why the thread was even started.  Someone with a knowledge of history would have made the thread "Nomination Thread For Poll Of America's Second-greatest Foe after Giap."   In that thread, maybe Ghani Baradar could get some traction.  But Osama bin Laden wouldn't be eligible even in that thread.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!