Nomination Thread For Poll Of America's Greatest Foe.

Started by mongers, April 15, 2012, 09:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

What about some of the great Native American leaders, like Techumseh, Joseph Brant or Geronimo?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2012, 08:26:20 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2012, 08:22:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 16, 2012, 08:17:16 AM
The OP thread starter has specifically said no ACW bullshit, and I have endorsed it.

Now you and Timmay get it through your thick fucking retardo skulls already.

Well, he's wrong. More americans were killed in battle by the CSA than all it's other enemies combined iirc. It's like discussing the enemies of the Jews while leaving out Hitler.

Heh.  That is only true if you count the CSA soldiers as Americans.

I was under the impression that on the whole the CSA did not have the policy of killing it's own soldiers.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PDH

Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2012, 08:36:38 AM
I was under the impression that on the whole the CSA did not have the policy of killing it's own soldiers.

Tell that to the soldiers under Bragg.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

General Pickett disagrees.

But if you take out the CSA losses your statement is false.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: PDH on April 16, 2012, 08:38:50 AM

Tell that to the soldiers under Bragg.

Well played, sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1f3Hr03fQ

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2012, 08:39:48 AM

General Pickett disagrees.

But if you take out the CSA losses your statement is false.

No, the statement remains true. At the time of making the statement my recollection of history was as I described it. Not being certain I did therefore add the "iirc" - interweb lingo for "if I remember correctly"

Though all this dissembling on how the CSA is an enemy opens up the nomination to Grant, Sherman, Sheridan and Thomas.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on April 16, 2012, 08:44:47 AM
Though all this dissembling on how the CSA is an enemy opens up the nomination to Grant, Sherman, Sheridan and Thomas.

There is no dissembling here.  People in the Civil War are not under consideration, because both sides were Americans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2012, 08:47:15 AM

There is no dissembling here.  People in the Civil War are not under consideration, because both sides were Americans.

Treasonous rebels in armed insurrection against the lawful government and constitution of the Uniteds states do not get to count as foes of america?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2012, 08:47:15 AM

Rebels only get to be considered enemies if they win?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Gah.

Why not just accept that, for whatever reason, the topic here is the non-Civil War enemies of America?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2012, 08:47:15 AMThere is no dissembling here.  People in the Civil War are not under consideration, because both sides were Americans.
But they were traitors.  You were fighting a nation of Tokyo Rose.  If Washington counts for the Brits then Lee should count for the Americans.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on April 16, 2012, 10:00:34 AM
Gah.

Why not just accept that, for whatever reason, the topic here is the non-Civil War enemies of America?  :lol:

I guess the concept is just too complex or something.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2012, 10:03:07 AM
But they were traitors.  You were fighting a nation of Tokyo Rose.  If Washington counts for the Brits then Lee should count for the Americans.

Lee and the other Confederates are still considered national heroes despite the technical fact they were traitors.  I doubt there are too many statues of Washington in Blighty.

Any list of top American generals of all time is going to have guys like Longstree and Jackson and Lee.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2012, 10:05:10 AM
Lee and the other Confederates are still considered national heroes despite the technical fact they were traitors.  I doubt there are too many statues of Washington in Blighty.

Outside the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square :P
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2012, 10:05:10 AM
I doubt there are too many statues of Washington in Blighty.

There is one in London.

DAMN YOU SHEILBH
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM