Main Menu

Washington Named Britain's Greatest Foe

Started by Faeelin, April 15, 2012, 05:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2012, 06:12:44 AM
Warning, Will Robinson!  Danger!

Don't go there, Sheilbh.  It's a rathole.  Trust me.  :cool:

It's nice to know you still fear my debating skills.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2012, 04:23:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 03:39:42 PM
My whole point was that there was no need, once he won, to justify anything.  He only had this oath thing to get the French and the Church on his side.

Wait a minute, he didnt have to justify anything but he had to get the French and Church "on his side".  Seems to me that requires him to produce a justification. ;)
Wait a minute, Valmy qualified his statement with "once he won" and you ignored that.  I wonder why?  ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2012, 05:37:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2012, 04:23:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 03:39:42 PM
My whole point was that there was no need, once he won, to justify anything.  He only had this oath thing to get the French and the Church on his side.

Wait a minute, he didnt have to justify anything but he had to get the French and Church "on his side".  Seems to me that requires him to produce a justification. ;)
Wait a minute, Valmy qualified his statement with "once he won" and you ignored that.  I wonder why?  ;)
Wait a minute, I didnt ignore it at all.  Go back down your hole silly rabbit.

Valmy, the timing matters not one whit.  At some point, whether it is before or after, you say he needed to get the French and the Church on his side.  Seems to me that requires him to produce a justification.  That justification was the oath which even the Normans say required a trick.

The trick is required presumably because everyone knew a story that Harold had consented to such a thing would be incredible.

mongers

[Myth alert]

The Normans were 'our' Mongols.  :bowler:

[/Myth alert]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2012, 06:14:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2012, 06:07:54 PM
Any statues?  :hmm:
Lord no.  Who would commemorate such a monster? :blink:

That's weird, you'd think there would be one somewhere ? unsure.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2012, 06:07:54 PM
Any statues?  :hmm:

Having pigeons shit on his likeness for all eternity seems appropriate.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

But...but....he ended slavery in England!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2012, 11:51:33 PM

But...but....he ended slavery in England!

Is that true?  I know that slavery essentially ended under Norman rule, but I didn't know that William ended it.  It's not always clear when discussing slavery.  Some chronicles use "Slave" and "serf" interchangeably.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 12:09:48 AM
Is that true?  I know that slavery essentially ended under Norman rule, but I didn't know that William ended it.  It's not always clear when discussing slavery.  Some chronicles use "Slave" and "serf" interchangeably.

That was tongue in cheek.  Before conquest there were slaves and afterwards no slaves.  But really that is a bit of a technicality.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2012, 06:02:56 PM
Wait a minute, I didnt ignore it at all.  Go back down your hole silly rabbit.
Wait a minute, you are still ignoring it!  :lmfao:  Weaseling is still ignoring.
Personal attacks get you nowhere and just make you look immature, BTW.  Probably best to keep your eye on the ball.  ;)

QuoteValmy, the timing matters not one whit. 

Mere assertion, and unsupported by even common reasoning.  Timing was all-important, as he was a Christian lord proposing to attack another Christian lord.

QuoteAt some point, whether it is before or after, you say he needed to get the French and the Church on his side. 
No.  Read his statement again.  He notes that, before William won, he needed to have the church and France on his side.  This is true.  The Pope had to sign off on the justification for one Christian lord to attack another with whom he had no existing grievance.  William created that grievance, and so got papal blessing.  From the French, William needed to recruit men and leaders.

Once William won, of course, he no longer needed to justify his actions; he was be the king, and kings can do shit because they want to.

QuoteSeems to me that requires him to produce a justification.  That justification was the oath which even the Normans say required a trick.
That was needed for the Pope and the French king, but not for the Saxons.  Thus, as Valmy noted, before the invasion but not after it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I guess that means Grumbler is a really big weasel since he ignores most of my posts.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 08:54:12 AM
I guess that means Grumbler is a really big weasel since he ignores most of my posts.

I'm pretty sure he ignores all of them, what with you being on his "Ignore" list.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2012, 09:15:05 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 19, 2012, 08:54:12 AM

I'm pretty sure he ignores all of them, what with you being on his "Ignore" list.

Sometimes he responds indirectly.  It's really kinda funny the way he gets all passive aggressive.