Crack Shack or Mansion? (Vancouver Edition)

Started by Malthus, April 14, 2012, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

A game to celebrate the overheated Canadian real estate market ... two years ago. Still just as bad if not worse today (Toronto is similarly crazy).

http://www.crackshackormansion.com/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Legbiter

Wait, so if it can withstand rain it's automatically worth a mil in Vancouver?

Got 4 out of 16 correct, so a monkey would be better at this than me.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Neil

The reason that you'd be bad at this is that, unlike a monkey, you'd attempt to use reason.  Vancouverites are incapable of reason, and so their doings are difficult to decipher for rational beings.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

10/16  :cool:

Some insane prices there. Londonesque in their insanity, though some of the dumps appeared to have a large lot.

Zoupa

:lol:

That was fun. I was looking to relocate to Vancouver (maybe) last year.

They wanted half a mil for a shitty, small condo not even downtown. So that, the FREAKING INCESSANT RAIN, and the fact relocation-girl was probably not right in the head made me stay put.  :)

alfred russel

In British Columbia there are crack houses, meth houses, heroin houses, and marijuana plantations. Every type of abode fits into one of these categories, thus identifying the crack houses is more challenging.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

This thread is spoiling the view of Canada as paradise on Earth.  :(

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2012, 04:49:11 PM

Somebody held that view?

Try february in Toronto ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2012, 05:35:28 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2012, 04:49:11 PM

Somebody held that view?

Try february in Toronto ...  ;)
How about summer? Gotta love that raw  Sewage smell around front street :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Hey I was born by in crack house?  It was later bought by a hospital and used to store medical waste.  Then it got torn down.  Now the neighborhood has an epidemic of bald children.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Zoupa on April 14, 2012, 03:33:35 PM
So that, the FREAKING INCESSANT RAIN,

:huh:

QuoteVancouver averages 166 days per year with measurable precipitation, and 289 days with measurable sunshine
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Rain every other day is a lot more than most people are used to.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

The worst part of living in Vancouver is indeed the rain - when it does rain. On the other 289 days it is paradise on earth.

The worst parts of living in most other cities are things which are not so infrequent.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 09:54:57 AM
The worst part of living in Vancouver is indeed the rain - when it does rain.

Well that, and the real estate market.  :D

But yeah, part of why the market is so crazy is because Vancouver is widely seen as a good place to live ... here's hoping that the endless articles about how we are in an unsustainable bubble about to crash and burn prove as inaccurate this year as they have proven the last decade or so.  ;)