Crack Shack or Mansion? (Vancouver Edition)

Started by Malthus, April 14, 2012, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Then one day we saw the sun
and the whaling fleet's return
greet an old friend, sing a song
for the season won't be long
and it's homeward bound when it's over
we'll leeeaave this icy hole
but I always will remember
Vancouver's house market bold!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

I was intrigued, visiting relatives in the Toronto area, that they had magazines about composting. The place is icebound for about 8 months a year, so instead of actually gardening the gardener is reduced to reading magazines about compost  :hmm:

Not that this has anything to do with the earthly paradise of Vancouver of course. I daresay the gardening year is the full 12 months there  :cool:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2012, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 10:31:44 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2012, 09:57:37 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 09:54:57 AM
The worst part of living in Vancouver is indeed the rain - when it does rain.

Well that, and the real estate market.  :D

Not from my perspective  ;)
I dunno.  Even you were bitching about trying to find a place without a rental unit.

Yeah, but I realize few people earn what I do so if I want a large house it forces me to buy one with good resale value - ie one that has a rental area if the buyer wants to use it for that purpose.  That small sacrifice has put me in a much better financial position.  So like I said, the housing market is definitely not a problem from my perspective.

It would however be hell for anyone wanting to move here from Edmonton.  Its good to know we can keep the undesirables out.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2012, 01:37:55 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 12:50:51 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 14, 2012, 10:47:36 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 14, 2012, 03:33:35 PM
So that, the FREAKING INCESSANT RAIN,

:huh:

QuoteVancouver averages 166 days per year with measurable precipitation, and 289 days with measurable sunshine

Measurable sunshine. :lol:

Apparently Canadians are all about it. I typed in measurable sunshine to google and most of the top hits were about Canadian cities. How sad.

Yeah, I wish we could talk about murder rates more.  Alas we dont live in New York. :cry:

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 03:43:27 PM
It would however be hell for anyone wanting to move here from Edmonton.  Its good to know we can keep the undesirables out.
Why would anyone want to move from Edmonton to Vancouver?  Edmonton is bad enough, why go somewhere worse?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 03:45:38 PM
Yeah, I wish we could talk about murder rates more.  Alas we dont live in New York. :cry:

And yet I know no one who has been murdered. Meanwhile, I know plenty of people who have been sunburnt as I know lots of foolish white people. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2012, 06:31:47 PM

And yet I know no one who has been murdered.

I suppose that is noteworthy where you live.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 03:19:35 PM
^_^

I just think it's funny that for 176 days out of the year, they're saying that the sun is literally undetectable (even with instruments!).

289 + 176 = 365?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Richard Hakluyt

The point is, I think, that Vancouver has weather rather than climate. It therefore has no difficulty having 289 sunny days and 176 rainy days all in the same year.

The west of Ireland is probably the most extreme case of this that I'm aware of, they have 300 rainy days a year and 300 sunny days a year.

Then there are hellholes where the weather is the same day after day after day...............

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 14, 2012, 03:24:35 PM
10/16  :cool:

Some insane prices there. Londonesque in their insanity, though some of the dumps appeared to have a large lot.
Where I last lived in London the police sent community support officers round to talk to neighbours (like us) about the recent 'Crack House Closure Order' they'd issued on a house on our street.  I thought it was a bit much to have a specific order for that :lol:

We also got letters from the community support people a lot and the occasional stuff about stopping dog fights at the end of our street.  Since I moved to Tower Hamlets I've had none of the same.  I don't know if it's because I'm in a lower crime area or the police here are just shit at community outreach :mellow:

QuoteThe west of Ireland is probably the most extreme case of this that I'm aware of, they have 300 rainy days a year and 300 sunny days a year.
I had similar in the Highlands.  The only place I've lived that actually could include all four seasons in a day.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2012, 10:43:49 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 10:31:44 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2012, 09:57:37 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 09:54:57 AM
The worst part of living in Vancouver is indeed the rain - when it does rain.

Well that, and the real estate market.  :D

Not from my perspective  ;)
I dunno.  Even you were bitching about trying to find a place without a rental unit.

Yeah, but I realize few people earn what I do so if I want a large house it forces me to buy one with good resale value - ie one that has a rental area if the buyer wants to use it for that purpose.  That small sacrifice has put me in a much better financial position.  So like I said, the housing market is definitely not a problem from my perspective.

Edmonton real estate is pretty fucking crazy too.  It still astounds me how much we had to spend for such a fairly average house.  A half million doesn't go nearly as far as you'd think.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on April 15, 2012, 07:30:07 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 03:19:35 PM
^_^

I just think it's funny that for 176 days out of the year, they're saying that the sun is literally undetectable (even with instruments!).

289 + 176 = 365?  :hmm:

76, whatever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2012, 07:53:00 PM
Edmonton real estate is pretty fucking crazy too.  It still astounds me how much we had to spend for such a fairly average house.  A half million doesn't go nearly as far as you'd think.

Ugh.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2012, 07:21:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2012, 06:31:47 PM

And yet I know no one who has been murdered.

I suppose that is noteworthy where you live.

You're the one who brought up murder, darling...in the midst of your pointless quest to trick people into thinking Vancouver is the best place on Earth.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 07:55:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2012, 07:53:00 PM

Ugh.

I can get you a fine house for 10K.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive