News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Curing the gay: a sceintifc scenario

Started by Razgovory, April 13, 2012, 01:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Inspired by another thread.  I got to thinking.  It's not really understood why people are gay.  Doctors and scientists have been tending toward people being born gay.  Let us for a moment presume this is true.  If doctors and scientists actually do discover exactly what makes a person tend toward homosexuality (be it genetic or prenatal hormones or whatever) it is likely they will develop a means to control it.  This poses an interesting situation.  Imagine if a doctor gave mothers a choice in deciding if they wanted their children be born gay or straight.  Is this ethical?  Is it ethical to not allow the mother a choice?

I imagine some sort of routine prenatal test followed by some kind of therapy done to the fetus in the womb (maybe as simple as some kind of pill taken by the mother).  As most parents are going to be straight, and most people want their children to be like them, it is likely if such a technology existed it would greatly reduce the number of homosexuals and lesbians in the population.

Before Marty comes in here saying I'm trolling, I think honestly think this is possible and may be an issue in the future.  I don't know when it would be possible.  It could be 10 years from now, it could be a hundred years from now.  I'm not up on medicine that much, but I do think this is a possible situation.  Let us say for the sake of argument that such a screening and procedure to shift a child toward homosexuality or heterosexuality is not far off, this way we don't have to worry about some future alien morality and only worry about modern day moral standards.  It's also possible that pre-natal tests will exist before a way to alter sexuality in the fetus is possible giving the mother a choice if she wants to abort a fetus with an orientation she doesn't like.  I find he idea repellent and don't want to dwell on it, but I suppose I should raise that issue as well.

I should reiterate the key point of this post and it's question.  Would it be ethical to allow mothers to chose the sexuality of their children and conversely would it be ethical to disallow mother to chose the sexual orientation of their child?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

This kind of ethical argument could easily be lumped into the entire debate on "designer babies", be it sexual orientation, or even just gender, eye color, hair color, dimples, cleft chin, lactose intolerance, or hipsterism.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I'm generally against designer babies. Not because of moral issues with it, but because many parents are stupid and I don't trust them to make good choices. Just look at some of the names that parents, esp. from less educated, lower classes, give their kids. Do we want such people deciding genetic makeups of their kids? I think not.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

I think that designer babies would lead to a reduction in genetic diversity as people favoured "good" genes over the "bad". Such a reduction would reduce the survivability of the species in the long term.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 13, 2012, 01:04:39 AM
This kind of ethical argument could easily be lumped into the entire debate on "designer babies", be it sexual orientation, or even just gender, eye color, hair color, dimples, cleft chin, lactose intolerance, or hipsterism.

I wasn't really thinking of "designer babies".  Simply a battery of tests that discover genetic or hormonal irregularities. Just a baby might be screened for spina bifada, they are alerted if the hormonal balance is consistent with a straight or gay person.  They then offer to "fix" the baby either way.  Or as a I alluded to, perhaps simply abortion.  I suppose that should be an issue as well (since it is more likely in the short term).  Would it be ethical to abort a baby the doctors think it will grow up gay?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Interesting question.

To be honest, if this was available, and it would be discovered that my kid would grow up gay, I would be tempted to change.
Why? Because I would rob him all the negative social aspects, without robbing him anything positive - he would just grow up to desire the opposite sex, instead of the same.

However, this IS the matter of designer babies. Along my line of thinking, genes helping one grow seriously overweight could also be removed, or genes making you a nerd. :P

So yeah, tricky one.

Josquius

I disagree with the 'born gay' stuff, I think upbringing has a much bigger part in it (though genetics, hormones, etc... do play a large part).

But yeah, theoretically; pretty unethical. If you choose to have a gay kid....then all the crap he goes through in school for being gay is your fault. On the other hand if you choose to have a straight kid...then its omg you're trying to eradicate the gays (and we all know the gays love their fresh meat...).

Even beyond this level parents having such a say in the personality of their kid down to what kind of things he likes and doesn't like...that is just getting into really bad territory. Down the road of turning kids into robots effectively.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I find it highly unlikely that any kind of upbringing could overcome:
-the most basic and strongest instinct, right after survival
-the big (and of course totally unfair) social stigma associated with gayness

It has to be genetical.

Martinus

People are forgetting that "genetics" is not the only alternative to "upbringing" - various biological, hormonal, fetus development etc. factors play a role too.

Anyway, I don't think "what causes/influences sexuality" is a very useful argument, except for scientists and lunatics.

CountDeMoney

It would be a tremendous loss for the arts.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2012, 06:15:34 AM
It would be a tremendous loss for the arts.

I don't know.  There are lots of people who would want gay kids, just for that very reason.  That being gay would give their kids super gay powers.

QuotePeople are forgetting that "genetics" is not the only alternative to "upbringing" - various biological, hormonal, fetus development etc. factors play a role too.

We are?  Didn't Raz mention this in his opening post?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 13, 2012, 01:10:47 AM
I'm generally against designer babies. Not because of moral issues with it, but because many parents are stupid and I don't trust them to make good choices. Just look at some of the names that parents, esp. from less educated, lower classes, give their kids. Do we want such people deciding genetic makeups of their kids? I think not.

I am more concerned that governments would step in and start legislating certain procedures be done to make 'better citizens' or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 13, 2012, 01:19:58 AM
I think that designer babies would lead to a reduction in genetic diversity as people favoured "good" genes over the "bad". Such a reduction would reduce the survivability of the species in the long term.

This.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.