And we're back!

Main Menu

Curing the gay: a sceintifc scenario

Started by Razgovory, April 13, 2012, 01:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 13, 2012, 10:07:29 AM
And she got her boobs reduced.

Well sorta.  She got her fake boobs made smaller.  And there is something to respect about reality TV?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Fate

Quote from: Syt on April 13, 2012, 01:10:47 AM
I'm generally against designer babies. Not because of moral issues with it, but because many parents are stupid and I don't trust them to make good choices. Just look at some of the names that parents, esp. from less educated, lower classes, give their kids. Do we want such people deciding genetic makeups of their kids? I think not.

What defines a designer baby? Right now if there's a prenatal test for a genetic defect or has symptoms that are detectable by early ultrasounds, parents tend to abort it more often than not. There's certainly a lot of negative selection going on already.

I tend to favor the fraternal birth order hypothesis given the observation that the probability of being gay increases for every older brother that you have. It's not thought to be a hormonal thing.  Maternal antibodies to "maleness" are thought to increase in titer with every successive male pregnancy (interspersed female births seem to have no effect.) No one's been able to definitively prove the existence of such antibodies though. Although this is probably just one of many physiological, genetic, epigenetic, and social factors that determine heterosexuality vs homosexuality.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on April 13, 2012, 09:45:34 AM
Curing the ghey might give you diabetes, cancer or premature balding.

It would definitely give you a severe case of un-fabulousness.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2012, 11:40:57 AM

What are you talking about?  Viking is fabulousness personified.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2012, 11:42:23 AM

My theory still stands.

Valmy

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2012, 11:42:23 AM

And Marty certainly lacks taste and class.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2012, 10:08:28 AM
Katie Price?

Wait this woman named her daughter Princess Tiaamii Crystal Esther Andre?  That just screams trashy person.

She's a clever businesswoman who has made millions out of manipulating the media despite her not actually being more than slightly pretty.

But yes, complete trash  :bowler:

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2012, 06:15:34 AM
It would be a tremendous loss for the arts.
Would it?  It's not like being gay automatically gives someone artisitic gifts and good taste.  I can think of a pseudo-Russian example of this on this very board.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2012, 04:38:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2012, 06:15:34 AM
It would be a tremendous loss for the arts.
Would it?  It's not like being gay automatically gives someone artisitic gifts and good taste.  I can think of a pseudo-Russian example of this on this very board.

Our fags are better than their fags.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2012, 04:38:15 PMIt's not like being gay automatically gives someone artisitic gifts and good taste.
It vastly improves the odd though :P
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2012, 09:27:26 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 13, 2012, 09:15:17 AM
"Evolution is cleverer than you are."

I fail to see how this is relevant unless gays are able to metabolize proteins that straights are not.

I can think of some proteins that gays are a lot more likely to metabolize...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2012, 04:46:05 PM

Ed Anger

I haven't been vaguely racist for a few days....
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2012, 04:46:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2012, 09:27:26 AM
Quote from: Viking on April 13, 2012, 09:15:17 AM
"Evolution is cleverer than you are."

I fail to see how this is relevant unless gays are able to metabolize proteins that straights are not.

I was beginning to think nobody was going to go there.  Thanks for restoring my faith in Languish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017