News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Cinco de Mayo

Started by Syt, May 05, 2009, 02:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Happy Battle of Puebla day, beaners! :cheers:

QuoteAccording to a paper published by the UCLA Center for the Study of Latino Health and Culture about the origin of the observance of Cinco de Mayo in the United States, the modern American focus on the people of the world that day first started in California in the 1860s in response to the resistance to French rule in Mexico.[12] The 2007 paper notes that "The holiday, which has been celebrated in California continuously since 1863, is virtually ignored in Mexico."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

This year, I will celebrate by banging a Mexican multiple times. :cheers:
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on May 05, 2009, 02:41:27 PM
This year, I will celebrate by banging a Mexican multiple times. :cheers:

I hope you break it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DisturbedPervert

QuoteThe 2007 paper notes that "The holiday, which has been celebrated in California continuously since 1863, is virtually ignored in Mexico."

Huh, didn't know that.  The Mexicans I knew in California celebrated it, always assumed it was everywhere in Mexico too.

Valmy

Mexicans celebrate the 16th of September which we totally ignore here in the US.

But hey Americans call Tex-Mex food Mexican food so what do they know about Mexico?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on May 05, 2009, 02:44:33 PM
Huh, didn't know that.  The Mexicans I knew in California celebrated it, always assumed it was everywhere in Mexico too.

It is not totally ignored in Mexico but it is a minor Holiday.  Most people over here seem to think it is their version of the 4th of July.

But then most people think Margaritas are Mexican to (even though they were invented in Cuba....by a Texan...)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

No one actually cares about Mexico. :contract:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2009, 02:57:26 PM

Yep.  Cinco de Mayo is just a fun get drunk American holiday.  Nobody really cares it doesn't really have much to do with Mexico :P

Siege

They are poor and ugly.

Why would I care?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Siege on May 05, 2009, 03:05:27 PM

They are poor and ugly.

Why would I care?

This new you isn't funny.

Go get drunk.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

I will celebrate by putting on a mask and lucha libreing werewolves.   :ph34r:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Siege

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2009, 03:06:10 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 05, 2009, 03:05:27 PM

They are poor and ugly.

Why would I care?

This new you isn't funny.

Go get drunk.

Sorry to hurt your sensitivities.

It remains a fact, though, that Mexico have never produced females of the same quality other countries like Brazil or Venezuela do.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on May 05, 2009, 03:11:39 PM

It remains a fact, though, that Mexico have never produced females of the same quality other countries like Brazil or Venezuela do.

Fine-- more short, stocky wimmen for the rest of us, then :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: Siege on May 05, 2009, 03:11:39 PM

:lmfao:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son