Bo, his Wife, the Businessman and Murder

Started by Sheilbh, April 10, 2012, 12:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quotewith an attitude to seek truth from facts.

Had to laugh at the need the emphasize this point.

Monoriu

The Chinese media has been reporting this for a few weeks, citing unofficial sources.  It is now official.  Apparently, they initially claimed that Heywood died of excessive consumption of alcohol.  It turned out that he was a teetotaler. 

CountDeMoney

Wow, and to think, Red Square was on TV last night.

I'd so bang Bai Ling.  Little People's Slut.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2012, 12:33:00 PM
Wow.

I have no insight whatsoever on the situation in China, but I am reading whatever I can these days.

Meh, the main characters aren't nearly as interesting as they were 20 years ago.  Guys like Li Peng, now they were fun.

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on April 10, 2012, 02:25:45 PM
The Chinese media has been reporting this for a few weeks, citing unofficial sources.  It is now official.  Apparently, they initially claimed that Heywood died of excessive consumption of alcohol.  It turned out that he was a teetotaler.
I guess he didn't develop any tolerance for alcohol.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 07:06:06 PM

You like 'em a little loopy, huh?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on April 10, 2012, 08:43:24 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 07:06:06 PM

You like 'em a little loopy, huh?

Crazy makes it interesting.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 10, 2012, 12:52:06 PM
Here's the official Xinhua (CCP's paper) article: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-04/10/c_131518309.htm

Quote from: Xinhua
According to investigation results, Bogu Kailai, wife of Comrade Bo Xilai, and their son were in good terms with Heywood. However, they had conflict over economic interests, which had been intensified.
In a sign of how Kremlinologist this is the Guardian said the meaning of 'Bogu' wasn't clear.  Apparently it's very rare in China for the wife to take her husband's name and Gu Kailai was well known in her own right as Gu Kailai.  It suggests, perhaps, determination to tie this to Bo?  I don't know :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2012, 03:38:39 AM
Quote from: Jacob on April 10, 2012, 12:52:06 PM
Here's the official Xinhua (CCP's paper) article: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-04/10/c_131518309.htm

Quote from: Xinhua
According to investigation results, Bogu Kailai, wife of Comrade Bo Xilai, and their son were in good terms with Heywood. However, they had conflict over economic interests, which had been intensified.
In a sign of how Kremlinologist this is the Guardian said the meaning of 'Bogu' wasn't clear.  Apparently it's very rare in China for the wife to take her husband's name and Gu Kailai was well known in her own right as Gu Kailai.  It suggests, perhaps, determination to tie this to Bo?  I don't know :mellow:

In China, the wife doesn't give up her maiden name.  For example, Hilary will never be addressed as Hilary Clinton according to Chinese naming conventions. 

It is however acceptable for the wife to add her husband's surname to her own, as in this case.  It is actually quite popular in HK. 

Monoriu

Speaking of names, Bo's son has a very distinctive name - Bo Gua Gua.  Gua means melon.  It is very uncommon to name your son as "gua", because in Chinese, the word "gua" is often associated with idiocy.  Bo is already an uncommon surname.  Bo Gua Gua is a name that is difficult to forget. 

Oexmelin

Boutros (Peter) was his first name
Boutros-Ghali (formed by his grandfather's first name and the original surname) became his surname.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 07:07:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2012, 12:33:00 PM
Wow.

I have no insight whatsoever on the situation in China, but I am reading whatever I can these days.

Meh, the main characters aren't nearly as interesting as they were 20 years ago.  Guys like Li Peng, now they were fun.

I don't know - what makes it so interesting is how it all ties in to the power struggles of 20, or even 40, years ago, either from some characters being mentored by others, or in Bo's case by being the son of other high ranking figures.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2012, 08:54:54 AMI don't know - what makes it so interesting is how it all ties in to the power struggles of 20, or even 40, years ago, either from some characters being mentored by others, or in Bo's case by being the son of other high ranking figures.

Well that and the fact that China can go in a number of very different directions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on April 11, 2012, 09:00:39 AM
Well that and the fact that China can go in a number of very different directions.

:lol: 

And yes, that is a condescending  :lol: