Are gays overrepresented among horror story creators and if so why?

Started by Martinus, April 09, 2012, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Gayness is even worse than Irishness, although not by much.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2012, 02:52:50 PM
I think we can all agree that Martinus is a overly dramatic fag for starting this thread.
And how :)

QuotePersonally, I'm glad that the tweeners and soccer moms have co-opted the Vampire Motif from the gays.   That Anne Rice nonsense has been annoying for 20 years.
I don't know.  At least Anne Rice vampires are in the whole Romantic Byronic hero tradition.  Edward Cullen just needs to grow a pair.

I'm saddened at the tweenish love for quiveringly weak excuses of men <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2012, 03:05:39 PM
CdM, I could just as well turn the question around and ask why do you consider yourself Irish (to the point of having donated or at least verbally supported the IRA) even though you do not have any real connection to Ireland.

People crave identity, validation (as you put that) and sense of community. This sense of identity is both inclusionary ("there are other people like me") and exclusionary ("I'm different from other people because..."). Gays are a curious minority however because there is no inheritable culture there for obvious reasons (unlike the Jews, or the Irish, or the blacks, you can't just look to your parents for the cultural traits) - and since our own ethnic cultures usually (at least until recently) reject us, we try to find that kind of heritage in the "gays of old".

I think this is pretty obvious psychologically.

Which is why nationalism is another (and far larger) indentity that causes problems.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: PDH on April 10, 2012, 03:19:00 PM
I claim Californian ancestry, and I will fight to the death to keep it that way.

Oh me too! Actually though I don't claim ancestry - I am a California! :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

You 20-something fags are hopeless. My bf is like that too. Not a single idealistic/revolutionary bone in you.  <_<

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2012, 03:33:05 PM
You 20-something fags are hopeless. My bf is like that too. Not a single idealistic/revolutionary bone in you.  <_<

Why do we need to be revolutionary? We've already gotten most of what we want.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 10, 2012, 03:33:46 PM

Why do we need to be revolutionary? We've already gotten most of what we want.

It's fun. But I mellowed out, mostly, recently. I just do it because I like to annoy people.

crazy canuck

Marti, do you honestly believe that is the reason people find you annoying?

Sheilbh

There's nothing revolutionary or idealistic about trawling Wikipedia looking for 'Personal life and sexuality' sections :lol:

You want to celebrate gay culture go read the bloody Sonnets - or watch Derek Jarman's 'The Angelic Conversation', a film accompanying them being read by Judi Dench - don't start threads about 'The Lost Boys'.

QuoteI'm glad that Marty has proven himself useful and validated my theories.
Marti's really marshalling homosexuality into his own thing.  It's not about the gays it's about Martiism.

QuoteWhy do we need to be revolutionary? We've already gotten most of what we want.
To smash the rich? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2012, 03:27:13 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2012, 03:25:31 PM
Gayness is even worse than Irishness, although not by much.

Poor Wellington. :(

Being born in a stable does not make one a horse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2012, 03:37:00 PM
It's fun. But I mellowed out, mostly, recently. I just do it because I like to annoy people.

I knew it!

The Larch