Are gays overrepresented among horror story creators and if so why?

Started by Martinus, April 09, 2012, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

It seems to me that gay men are over-represented among horror story writers/authors. James Whale, the director of the original Frankenstein movies, was gay. Bram Stoker was gay. Clive Barker (Hellraiser, Candyman) is gay. The co-authors of the recent excellent horror show, American Horror Story, are both gay. Joel Schumacher, the director of Lost Boys and few other horror flics is gay The gay son of Anne Rice also writes horror. Etc.

Is it because we are monsters?  :P

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Maximus

katmai

No. Not really. His question is so mind numbingly dumb so it is right up his alley.

The Larch

katmai

Jacob

Maximus

mongers

Quote from: katmai on April 09, 2012, 04:21:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 09, 2012, 04:08:04 PM
Bram Stoker gay? Says who?

I'm sure Marci was told by someone at some gay soirée.

Come on, the guys name on its own is a dead give away, just change the m to an n.   ;)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

You know, I think Marty's on to something here.

For instance, I think gays are definitely overrepresented in Tchaikovsky. 

I mean, look at the evidence:

1) Pyotr = Peter
2) Ilyich = has same # of syllables as "I like dick"
3) Tchaikovsky = rhymes with TchaiCOCKSky
4) 1812 Overture:  The 18 and the 12, when done a certain way as shadow puppets, looks like two guys engaged in missionary anal sex.

And c'mon:  The NUTcracker Suite? 

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 09, 2012, 04:48:17 PM
You know, I think Marty's on to something here.

For instance, I think gays are definitely overrepresented in Tchaikovsky. 

I mean, look at the evidence:

1) Pyotr = Peter
2) Ilyich = has same # of syllables as "I like dick"
3) Tchaikovsky = rhymes with TchaiCOCKSky
4) 1812 Overture:  The 18 and the 12, when done a certain way as shadow puppets, looks like two guys engaged in missionary anal sex.

And c'mon:  The NUTcracker Suite?
Ilyich has two syllables.  It's a weakness of transliterating Russian to create extra syllables.

But otherwise, your analysis is tinfoil good.  Could I interest you in a copy of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on April 09, 2012, 04:51:34 PM
Ilyich has two syllables.  It's a weakness of transliterating Russian to create extra syllables.

But otherwise, your analysis is tinfoil good.  Could I interest you in a copy of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion?

After peer review, I have changed the hypothesis:
2) Ilyich = has same # of syllables as "likes dicks"

Still works.

Razgovory

Why is so many historical figures get pegged as gay?  So and So never married so we chalk him up as gay.  Couldn't that person by just asexual, or really shy, or into dogs, or a child molester?  Why do we always assume gay?  There are plenty of forms of Paraphilia, why focus on only this one?  Or is this somehow "empowering".  An important historical person that gays want to claim as their own.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Anne Rice's son wrote 1 horror book. The rest were murder mysteries. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on April 09, 2012, 03:53:53 PM
And I already regret unbanning you :bleeding:

This is what happens when he is allowed to return early from a ban.