Main Menu

Happy Zombie Jesus Day...

Started by C.C.R., April 08, 2012, 07:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2012, 07:21:51 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2012, 07:17:39 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2012, 08:07:32 AM
Ugh - I can't believe I'm up to go to church.

So, did the holy water boil when you walked past it?

Presbyterian, no holy water.

Highlights - a mime troupe that performed jesus dying on the cross (and then he came back in a white robe and pointy white hood), a woman who got the holy spirit and after convulsing a bit - passed out, and a slide show of the minister's car accident on tuesday past

Lowlight - 2.5 hour service

Was this a sort of personal anthropology project, a fufillment of family obligations, or have you found jesus?  :huh:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

At least he didn't say Unitarian.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2012, 09:25:43 PM
I've been to one catholic service. It was pretty underwhelming.

Did you leave before the part where wine becomes jesus blood and bread his flesh?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on April 08, 2012, 09:56:59 PM

Did you leave before the part where wine becomes jesus blood and bread his flesh?

I just remained in the pew. I did partake at a Lutheran church.

To answer your earlier question, my sister wanted to go and I obliged. In any given year though, I go to church 2 to 3 times even without familial prompting. I find the experience culturally interesting if not spiritually rewarding.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2012, 10:01:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 08, 2012, 09:56:59 PM

I just remained in the pew. I did partake at a Lutheran church.

I like the way the Lutherans do it, with individual little shot glasses, as opposed to a chalice.
Just can't slam the chalice down after two fingers.  As much, anyway.

Syt

Our Lutheran church had a chalice from the 18th century. It was turned slightly after every sip an wiped when it had completed one turn.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

:huh: Shot glasses in church? Have you been drinking again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

We always had tiny little glasses filled with grape juice. :thumbsdown:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: The Brain on April 09, 2012, 05:32:01 AM
:huh: Shot glasses in church? Have you been drinking again?
Serbian church.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

Presbyterians do the shot glasses/sparkling grape thing, as well.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 09, 2012, 05:32:20 AM
We always had tiny little glasses filled with grape juice. :thumbsdown:

That's how you know your church was the wrong one.  Catholic Church you get watered down wine.  Then whiskey and pancakes and bingo.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 05:20:35 PM
That's how you know your church was the wrong one.  Catholic Church you get watered down wine.  Then whiskey and pancakes and bingo.

Church of Satan sounds more fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 09, 2012, 09:19:57 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 09, 2012, 05:20:35 PM

Church of Satan sounds more fun.

No Bingo.  Also that soul saving thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017